Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

About Mech engineer soft skill required

1. Jun 8, 2016 #1
    Hey guys, I am a freshmen planning to Major in Mechanical Engineering. After I graduate, I want to purse a career in the Aerospace industry coz Aviation is my interest. I was wondering what kind of computer programming skills and CAD designing skills should I acquire inorder to make myself more competitive. About computer programming, which one should I consider learning: >C++ or >MATLAB or >JAVA About Computer Aided Design (CAD) program, which one should I consider learning: >Autodesk AutoCAD or >AutoDesk AutoCAD Mechanical or >Catia V5/V6 or >SolidWorks Please give me some idea on which computer programming language and CAD skills to develop.

Reference https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/required-computer-skills-for-mechanical-engineering.500815/

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2016 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

The referenced thread pretty much answers the question MATLAB and Solidworks although the other design tools would be good on your resume too.

As an ME you might also get a job in non-aerospace in which case C++ or Numerical Python and sometimes Java for production work might be used in place of MATLAB.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted