Engineering Software for Mechanical Simulations

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a computer program to simulate the physics and properties of potential designs, specifically in regards to creating a cryptex. The individual is looking for a free program that can test the moving parts of the design in a graphical setting. They also mention the complexities and expenses involved in fully testing a design using sophisticated computer codes.
Kaura
I am a first year Mechanical Engineering Major
I am wondering if there are any good computer program that I could use to simulate the physics and properties of potential designs
The other day I saw something about Da Vinci's famous cryptex and this peaked my interest into designing and building my own as a sort of introductory learning experience into engineering
I have some designs down on paper for it with measurements and what not and they seem rather solid as the actual device is not too complex however I would like to be able to test my design and any future designs with some sort of program that would allow me to test the moving parts in my design in a graphical setting
Programs that are free would be desirable and if there is some easier way to test my design I would be willing to here about it as well
Thanks in advance

Engineering news on Phys.org
There are many aspects of testing a design, and it takes a very sophisticated and expensive computer code (in most cases) to test every aspect. To illustrate, for a given system, you may have questions about the (1) kinematics, (2) dynamic response, (3) strength of the elements. Most of these could be checked with a sophisticated FEA program, but not with the freebies.

Likes berkeman

What is engineering software for mechanical simulations?

Engineering software for mechanical simulations is a computer program that is used to model and simulate mechanical systems. It allows engineers to create virtual prototypes, analyze their performance, and make design improvements before physically building the system.

What are the benefits of using engineering software for mechanical simulations?

There are several benefits to using engineering software for mechanical simulations. It can save time and money by allowing engineers to identify and fix potential issues before production. It also provides a more in-depth understanding of the system's behavior and allows for accurate predictions of its performance.

What types of simulations can be performed with engineering software?

Engineering software for mechanical simulations can perform a wide variety of simulations, including stress analysis, thermal analysis, kinematic analysis, and fluid dynamics. It can also simulate different types of materials, such as metals, plastics, and composites.

Is engineering software for mechanical simulations difficult to use?

The complexity of using engineering software for mechanical simulations can vary depending on the specific program and the user's level of experience. However, many programs have user-friendly interfaces and offer extensive tutorials and support to help users navigate the software.

What are some examples of commonly used engineering software for mechanical simulations?

Some examples of commonly used engineering software for mechanical simulations include ANSYS, SolidWorks Simulation, COMSOL Multiphysics, and MSC Software. These programs are widely used in various industries, including aerospace, automotive, and manufacturing.