Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

About orthogonality and nullspaces

1. May 30, 2012 #1
    Hi:
    I see an example about nullspace and orthogonality, the example is following:

$$Ax=\begin{bmatrix} 1 & 3 &4\\ 5 & 2& 7 \end{bmatrix} \times \left[ \begin{array}{c} 1 \\ 1\\-1 \end{array} \right]=\begin{bmatrix} 0\\0\end{bmatrix}$$

The conclusion says the nullspace of [itex]A^T[/itex] is only the zero vector(orthogonal to every vector). I don't know why the columns of A and nullspace of [itex]A^T[/itex] are orthogonal spaces.
    I know nullspace is the solution of Ax=0; but in this theorem, why columns of A is related
    to nullsapce of [itex]A^T[/itex].
    Thanks.

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2012 #2
    Notice the null space of A^T is orthogonal to (1,5), (3,2) and (4,7). So it is orthogonal to the space spanned by the vectors, which is the column space of A.

4. May 30, 2012 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

[tex]A^T= \begin{bmatrix}1 & 5 \\ 3 & 2 \\ 4 & 7\end{bmatrix}[/tex]
    so that the condition that a vector be in the null space of [itex]A^T[/itex] is
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}1 & 5 \\ 3 & 2 \\ 4 & 7\end{bmatrix}\begin{bmatrix}x \\ y \end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}0 \\ 0 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]
    which is the same as
    [tex]\begin{bmatrix}x+ 5y \\ 3x+ 2y \\ 4x+ 7y\end{bmatrix}= \begin{bmatrix}0 \\ 0 \\ 0 \end{bmatrix}[/tex]
    Do you see now, how the columns of A, which become the rows of AT, are relevant here?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook