About Solvable/Unsolvable ODEs

• Thread starter john.lee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Odes
In summary, in the conversation, the speaker learned about first-order ODEs and how to distinguish between solvable and unsolvable equations. A separable equation, such as ##\frac{dy}{dt}=\frac{t}{y}##, is easy to solve by multiplying both sides with ##ydt## and integrating, while a non-separable equation, such as ##\frac{dy}{dt}=y-t^{2}##, requires more complex methods like using an integrating factor. The speaker also mentions that for nonlinear and non-separable equations, there is no simple method of solution and specialized functions like Bessel functions may be needed.
john.lee
In my class, I learned about a First-order ODEs,

and solvable and unsolvable.

example in case solvable ODEs)
dy/dt=t/y
dy/dt=y-t^2

example in case unsolvable ODEs)
dy/dt=t-y^2

but , i don't know how distinguish those.

please, teach ME! : ( as possible as easily !

Physics news on Phys.org
The question is not about whether the equation has a solution. It's about how easy it is to find the solution. The equation ##\frac{dy}{dt}=\frac{t}{y}## is separable and is easy to solve by multiplying both sides with ##ydt## and integrating the resulting equation ##ydy=tdt##. The equation ##\frac{dy}{dt}=y-t^{2}## can be solved by first multiplying both sides with the integrating factor ##e^{-t}##, and then using the derivative of product rule and integrating the resulting equation ##\frac{d}{dt}\left(e^{-t}y\right)=t^{2}e^{-t}##.

For the nonlinear and non-separable equation ##\frac{dy}{dt}=t-y^{2}##, there is no similar simple method of solution. There does exist a solution, but it must be written in terms of special functions called Bessel functions. Do you know how to solve DE:s with WolframAlpha or Mathematica?

Oh,! I got it! Thanks : )

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between a solvable and unsolvable ordinary differential equation (ODE)?

A solvable ODE is one that has a solution that can be expressed in terms of known functions, such as polynomials or trigonometric functions. An unsolvable ODE, on the other hand, does not have a solution that can be written in terms of known functions, and requires more complex methods to solve.

2. How can I determine if an ODE is solvable or unsolvable?

There is no simple rule for determining whether an ODE is solvable or unsolvable. In general, it requires a deep understanding of the properties and characteristics of the equation. However, certain types of equations, such as linear ODEs, have well-defined methods for determining solvability.

3. Can an unsolvable ODE be solved numerically?

Yes, an unsolvable ODE can be solved numerically using methods such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta methods. These methods involve approximating the solution to the ODE at discrete points, rather than finding an explicit solution. However, the accuracy of these numerical solutions depends on the complexity of the ODE and the chosen numerical method.

4. Are there real-world applications for unsolvable ODEs?

Yes, unsolvable ODEs have many real-world applications, particularly in physics and engineering. For example, the motion of a pendulum can be modeled using an unsolvable ODE, as can the behavior of electric circuits. In these cases, numerical methods are often used to approximate the solution to the ODE.

5. Is it possible to convert an unsolvable ODE into a solvable one?

In some cases, it is possible to transform an unsolvable ODE into a solvable one by making a change of variables or using other techniques. However, this is not always possible and may result in a more complex or difficult to solve equation. In general, it is best to use specific methods for solving unsolvable ODEs rather than attempting to convert them to solvable ones.