1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

About Solvable/Unsolvable ODEs

1. Mar 4, 2014 #1
    In my class, I learned about a First-order ODEs,

and solvable and unsolvable.

example in case solvable ODEs)
    dy/dt=t/y
    dy/dt=y-t^2

example in case unsolvable ODEs)
    dy/dt=t-y^2

but , i dont know how distinguish those.

plz, teach ME! : ( as possible as easily !

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2014 #2

hilbert2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The question is not about whether the equation has a solution. It's about how easy it is to find the solution. The equation ##\frac{dy}{dt}=\frac{t}{y}## is separable and is easy to solve by multiplying both sides with ##ydt## and integrating the resulting equation ##ydy=tdt##. The equation ##\frac{dy}{dt}=y-t^{2}## can be solved by first multiplying both sides with the integrating factor ##e^{-t}##, and then using the derivative of product rule and integrating the resulting equation ##\frac{d}{dt}\left(e^{-t}y\right)=t^{2}e^{-t}##.

For the nonlinear and non-separable equation ##\frac{dy}{dt}=t-y^{2}##, there is no similar simple method of solution. There does exist a solution, but it must be written in terms of special functions called Bessel functions. Do you know how to solve DE:s with WolframAlpha or Mathematica?

4. Mar 4, 2014 #3
    Oh,! I got it! Thanks : )

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted