1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Basis for the space of solutions (ODE)

1. Feb 27, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The equation given:

dy/dt = 3*y

A basis for the space of solutions is required.

3. The attempt at a solution

According to me it is e^(3*t) but it has turned out false. Why? I am considering the answer "The basis is the set of all functions of the form c*e^(3*t) but a different example was described as follows:
    "The vector space of solutions to a homogeneous ODE consists of infinitely many functions. To describe it compactly, we give a basis of the vector space. In this case, the basis has only 2 functions."

Is it possible that my answer is correct and there is a bug here?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2017 #2

Math_QED

Homework Helper

What is their basis? What is the vector space you are working in? Those are essential things to know.

You are right to say that ##y(t) = Ae^{3t}## is the solution of this differential equation.

4. Feb 27, 2017 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are correct that the function ##e^{3t}## is a basis for the solution space. Perhaps the problem is typing it in a particular format for an online problem? Maybe they want something like ##\{e^{3t}\}##. In any case, you do understand it correctly.

5. Feb 27, 2017 #4
    Many thanks. :) It is the main thing to understand it correctly. :) I will ask if this is a technical problem with a grader.

6. Feb 27, 2017 #5

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I will guess that they want the set notation, since a basis is a set of functions. In this case, a set containing a single function.

7. Feb 27, 2017 #6
    I can only tick 'one', 'two' etc. I can't add the set notation. Perhaps 'none' of possibilities is the right answer. :) This is annoying.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted