About standing waves and reasonance

In summary: They found that the near resonant condition is when the detuning is less than or equal to Γ/4. They also found that the detuning increases the intensity of the scattered photons by a factor of 10. So if you had a laser with a detuning of 1000 Γ, the scattered photons would be 10,000 times more intense than if the detuning was 0 Γ.
KFC
Hi there,
I am reading a book regarding fundamental atomic physics, in which it introduces one kind of electronic scattering called Kapitsa–Dirac effect. I read the some introduction in wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kapitsa–Dirac_effect, and it states that the effect was first observed in diffraction of electrons from a standing wave of light. I understand most of the statements in the wiki page. But in other materials, they refer to the similar stuffs with "resonant standing wave" of light. This is confusing to me on the term "resonant". To my understanding, in the text of fundamental physics, standing wave is associated with resonance because it will be formed when the frequency of the "input oscillation" satisfied to some condition. But in other reference on Kapitsa–Dirac effect or in the above wiki page, I saw a term "near resonant standing wave laser field". I don't understand why it said "near resonant", what does it really mean?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The effect in atoms involves the exchange of momentum between the atom and the light field through absorption and stimulated emission. The effect is greater closer to an electronic transition in the atom (this is where the probability of the coherent scattering process, simultaneous absorption and emission of photons, is highest). But for light that is resonant, the two-step process becomes important, where the atom first absorbs a photon, and then some time later emits a photon through stimulated or spontaneous emission. The latter introduces noise. So the best situation is to be near-resonant: close enough to the transition such that photon scattering is high, but far enough that absorption followed by spontaneous emission is low.

DrClaude said:
The effect in atoms involves the exchange of momentum between the atom and the light field through absorption and stimulated emission. The effect is greater closer to an electronic transition in the atom (this is where the probability of the coherent scattering process, simultaneous absorption and emission of photons, is highest). But for light that is resonant, the two-step process becomes important, where the atom first absorbs a photon, and then some time later emits a photon through stimulated or spontaneous emission. The latter introduces noise. So the best situation is to be near-resonant: close enough to the transition such that photon scattering is high, but far enough that absorption followed by spontaneous emission is low.
Thanks. But how close to the resonant frequency is said to be "near"?

In the paper found at http://dx.doi.org.proxy.ub.umu.se/10.1103/PhysRevLett.56.827, they work with sodium, using the 3s 2P3/2 state as the excited state, with detunings of the order of 100 to 1000 MHz. That excited state of sodium has a linewidth of about 9.79 MHz, so the detuning is 10-100 Γ.

1. What are standing waves?

Standing waves are a type of wave motion that occurs when two waves with the same frequency and amplitude traveling in opposite directions interfere with each other. This results in a pattern of stationary points and nodes, where there is no net movement of energy.

2. How are standing waves formed?

Standing waves are formed when two waves with the same frequency and amplitude traveling in opposite directions interfere with each other. This can occur when a wave reflects off a fixed boundary or when two waves with the same frequency and amplitude are produced by a single source.

3. What is resonance in relation to standing waves?

Resonance is a phenomenon that occurs when an object's natural frequency matches the frequency of an external force. In the case of standing waves, resonance occurs when the natural frequency of the medium matches the frequency of the standing wave, resulting in a large amplitude of vibration.

4. What are some examples of standing waves in real life?

Standing waves can be observed in various natural and man-made systems, such as vibrating strings, air columns in musical instruments, and ocean waves. They can also be seen in everyday objects, such as bridges, buildings, and even microwave ovens.

5. How do standing waves affect the energy distribution in a system?

Standing waves can cause energy to be concentrated at certain points, known as nodes, and cancelled out at other points, known as antinodes. This can have significant effects on the behavior and stability of a system, as well as its energy transfer and dissipation.