About the presentation of matrix

• Thread starter applechu
  • Start date
In summary: LaTeX guide. In summary, the user is experiencing issues with displaying a matrix using LaTeX commands and using the Daum Equation Editor to edit math equations. Possible solutions include removing spaces before and after bmatrix and referring to a LaTeX guide for proper formatting.
applechu
Hi:
I have a problem about the matrix,
i try the following tex commands:
##A=\begin{ bmatrix } 1 & 2 \\ 3 & 6 \end{ bmatrix }##

and it can not show the matrix, I don't know what is the problem, since the
code style seems right. And another problem is I try to use Daum Equation Editor
to edit the math equation, but the problem is if I add $ and $ surround the code
paste from Daum Equation Editor, it can not show the result I want.
it will show the original codes without any compile. Is any possible solution for that,
thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
applechu said:
Hi:
I have a problem about the matrix,
i try the following tex commands:
##A=\begin{ bmatrix } 1 & 2 \\ 3 & 6 \end{ bmatrix }##

and it can not show the matrix, I don't know what is the problem, since the
code style seems right. And another problem is I try to use Daum Equation Editor
to edit the math equation, but the problem is if I add $ and $ surround the code
paste from Daum Equation Editor, it can not show the result I want.
it will show the original codes without any compile. Is any possible solution for that,
thanks a lot.

Here is a LaTeX guide: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=546968

In your case, you should not type spaces before and after bmatrix. It should be

Code:
##A=\begin{bmatrix} 1 & 2 \\ 3 & 6 \end{bmatrix}##

which gives

##A=\begin{bmatrix} 1 & 2 \\ 3 & 6 \end{bmatrix}##

Thanks

1. What is a matrix?

A matrix is a rectangular array of numbers or symbols arranged in rows and columns. It is commonly used in mathematics and computer science to represent data or to perform calculations.

2. What are the different types of matrices?

There are several types of matrices, including square matrices (having the same number of rows and columns), rectangular matrices (having different numbers of rows and columns), and identity matrices (containing 1s along the main diagonal and 0s elsewhere). Other types include diagonal matrices, symmetric matrices, and upper or lower triangular matrices.

3. What is the notation used to represent a matrix?

A matrix is typically denoted by a capital letter, such as A, and the individual elements are identified by their position in the matrix. For example, the element in the first row and second column of matrix A would be written as A1,2.

4. How are matrices used in data analysis and statistics?

Matrices are used in data analysis and statistics to organize and manipulate large sets of data. They can be used for tasks such as solving systems of equations, performing linear transformations, and calculating eigenvalues and eigenvectors.

5. What are some common operations performed on matrices?

Some common operations performed on matrices include addition, subtraction, multiplication, and inversion. Other important operations include transposition (flipping the matrix over its main diagonal), determinant calculation, and finding the rank of a matrix.