• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Testing PhD viva - Length of starting presentation

• Thread starter rwooduk
  • Start date
I have my PhD viva in about a months time, part of it is to give an introductory presentation. Since I'm sure some members here examine PhD students in their viva, I would like to ask what they would consider a good lenth of time for the presentation? I don't want to annoy the examiner by having a lengthy presentation when they would like to ask questions about the thesis. But also I don't want it to appear that I have missed key details / arguments / conclusions. Would you prefer a brief presentation of the work followed by an in depth discussion of the thesis, or an in depth presentation followed by in depth thesis discussion? Would you have any time preferences?

Thanks for any advice.

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2018 Award
This question simply cannot be answered on a general basis because it strongly depends on your country and on your institution. Your best source of information regarding this should be your PhD supervisor.

This question simply cannot be answered on a general basis because it strongly depends on your country and on your institution. Your best source of information regarding this should be your PhD supervisor.
I was really just after some personal experiences from examiners where the presentation was lacking / they became frustrated. But I certainly understand your point and my supervisor will certainly be my main point of contact. Thanks for your reply.

CrysPhys

Education Advisor
I agree that a survey of random experiences would not be useful. Your advisor should provide guidance on the expectations of your committee, including pet issues likely to be raised by specific committee members (you want to be forewarned and forearmed).

f95toli

Science Advisor
Gold Member
I was really just after some personal experiences from examiners where the presentation was lacking / they became frustrated. But I certainly understand your point and my supervisor will certainly be my main point of contact. Thanks for your reply.
It doesn't work that way. Different universities will have different rules/conventions, and the external examiner will be told what these are beforehand. Hence, he/she will (or at least should) judge your presentation based on the local rules.

phyzguy

Science Advisor
Just to highlight the differences between countries, I am in the US and had never heard the term "PhD viva" before your post. I had always heard it referred to as a "thesis defense".