About the Schrodinger equation, the Hamiltonian, time evolution?

In summary, the conversation discussed the connection between energy and time evolution in quantum mechanics. It was mentioned that the Hamiltonian operator acts on the state vector and gives the eigenvalue, which can be measured in experiments. It was also noted that applying the operator represents a time evolution on the state vector. The significance of this was questioned, as well as the connection between momentum and "space evolution." The conversation concluded by discussing translation and time translation operators, with the Hamiltonian being the generator of time translations and momentum being the generator of space translations. It was suggested to write the wavefunction in a specific form and solve for u and T to better understand this concept. It was also mentioned that Ballentine's book on QM and Shankar's
jeebs
Forgive me if this is a poorly asked question but I am not yet completely fluent in quantum mechanics and was just looking at the energy eigenvalue equation [tex] H|\Psi\rangle = i\hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial t}|\Psi\rangle = E|\Psi\rangle [/tex].
We've got the Hamiltonian operator H acting on the state vector [tex] |\Psi\rangle[/tex] and it gives you the eigenvalue E which is what we can measure in experiments. That much is fair enough.
But, it also says that when you apply the operator, you are doing a time evolution on the state [tex] |\Psi\rangle[/tex]. I am struggling to see what the link is between energy and time evolution. I know I'm not asking a very precise question here, but what is the significance of this?
What does it mean to equate energy with time evolution? For that matter, what does it mean to equation momentum p with [tex] i\hbar\frac{\partial}{\partial x} [/tex],
("space evolution" I suppose you might call that?)
This feels like something basic I should be aware of by now.

Physics news on Phys.org
If f is the state vector you use to represent the state of the system right now, exp(-iHt)f is the state vector you have to use to represent the state of the system a time t later. Alternatively, you can think of exp(-iHt)f as the state vector you would had to use right now if the system had been put through the same preparation procedure a time t earlier.

Similarly, exp(ipb)f is the state vector you would have had to use if the system had been put through the same preparation procedure a distance b from where it was actually prepared.

exp(ipb) is called a translation operator, and exp(-iHt) a time translation operator. H (the Hamiltonian) is said to be the generator of translations in stime, and p (momentum) is said to be the generator of translations in space.

A good exercise for you is to write the wavefunction that appears in the Schrödinger equation in the form [itex]\psi(x,t)=u(x)T(t)[/itex], and solve for u and T separately. (You should get one equation for u and one for T). Then you can show that

[tex]\psi(x,t)=e^{-iHt}\psi(x,0)[/tex]

Last edited:
This is some cool stuff that I don't think is usually covered in an intro QM course. Guess what dynamical variable is associated with "angular evolution" (rotation)?

Ballentine's book on QM discusses this early on. I think Shankar also has some stuff on it, including the analogous relations in classical mechanics.

1. What is the Schrodinger equation?

The Schrodinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes how the state of a physical system changes over time. It is a differential equation that relates the time evolution of a quantum system to its energy and wave function.

2. What is the Hamiltonian in the Schrodinger equation?

The Hamiltonian is a mathematical operator that represents the total energy of a quantum system. It is an essential component of the Schrodinger equation, as it determines the time evolution of the system.

3. How does the Schrodinger equation relate to time evolution?

The Schrodinger equation governs the time evolution of a quantum system by describing how the wave function of the system changes over time. The Hamiltonian operator, which represents the total energy of the system, is used to calculate the time derivative of the wave function.

4. What is the significance of the Schrodinger equation in quantum mechanics?

The Schrodinger equation is a cornerstone of quantum mechanics, as it provides a mathematical framework for describing the behavior of quantum systems. It allows us to predict the probability of a system being in a certain state at a specific time, and has been used to make accurate predictions in a wide range of physical phenomena.

5. How is the Schrodinger equation used in practical applications?

The Schrodinger equation is used in a wide range of practical applications, such as in developing new materials, understanding chemical reactions, and designing electronic devices. It is also used in fields such as quantum computing and quantum cryptography, which utilize the unique behavior of quantum systems for their applications.