About Wick's Theorem, Time Order Operator, Normal Ordering and Green's Function

In summary: In general, the vacuum expectation value of an operator is just the operator itself, unless the operator changes the vacuum state or takes it to an orthogonal state. So in this case, the vacuum expectation value of the Feynman propagator is just the Feynman propagator itself.
Breo
So if I understood well, Normal ordering just comes due to the conmutation relation of a and a⁺? right? Is just a simple and clever simplification.

Wick Theorem is analogue to normal ordering because it is related to the a and a⁺ again (so related to normal ordering, indeed).

However I do not know why and exactly where the Time order operator comes. Is this like onion layers? Normal ordering -> time order operator -> wick's theorem ?

And can someone explain me this equation? Please.

$$ <0|T\big\{\phi^{(0)}(x)\phi^{(0)}(y)\big\}|0>=G^{(0)}_F(x-y)$$

This really vanishes just because of a(p)|0>=0?

$$<0|:\phi(x)\phi(y):|0>=0$$

Physics news on Phys.org
to my understanding, wick's theorem gives a way to represent the time ordered combination of field operators. it turns out, via wick's theorem that you can think of the time ordered product as a sum of normal ordered products and contractions.

since we are interested in the vacuum expectation value to calculate amplitudes, wick's theorem is nice because we can effectively ignore the normal ordered terms (i.e. the vacuum expectation value of a normal ordered product is zero), so the time ordering for the vacuum expectation value is simply a sum over contractions. The contraction for two fields is equal to the feynman propagator, which is the first equation you have written. Only the normal ordered part vanishes, the contractions remain and are generally nonzero.

Last edited:
thoughtgaze said:
the vacuum expectation value of a normal ordered product is zero

why? in mathematical terms.

Breo said:
why? in mathematical terms.
Well, there are a few possibilities for the normal ordered product. To convey the point it is enough to think of the normal ordered product of two creation/annihilation operators.

for the first example we have
apap
where ap corresponds to the creation of a particle with momentum p.

now take the vacuum expectation value of the normal ordered product.

<0|N(apap)|0> = <0|apap|0> = <0|2p> because the state with no particles (i.e. <0|) is orthogonal to the state with two particles of momentum p (i.e. |2p>)

now let's take the example apap

<0|N(apap)|0> = <0|apap|0> = 0 because ap is operating on the vacuum state first. ap sends the vacuum state to 0 by definition of what we mean by the vacuum state.

the last example is trivial

<0|N(apap)|0> = <0|apap|0> = 0

We can also think of the operators as operating on the bra vector instead of the ket vector, in which case <0|apap|0> = <2p|0> = 0

The same reasoning follows through for products of an arbitrary number of creation/annihilation operators, showing that the vacuum expectation value of a normal ordered product of an arbitrary set of creation/annihilation operators is always zero.

Ok, so it is just that easy to say the exponentials times |0> are equal to the exponentials in the ground state, however the normal ordering makes the annhilation operators produce a zero factor which makes the whole expression vanishes.

Right?

I was operating the first equation in the official post and I reached this relation:

$$ \langle 0 | G_F^{(0)}(x-y)|0 \rangle = G_F^{(0)}(x-y) \langle 0|0 \rangle = G_F^{(0)}(x-y) $$

Is this correct?

Breo said:
Ok, so it is just that easy to say the exponentials times |0> are equal to the exponentials in the ground state, however the normal ordering makes the annhilation operators produce a zero factor which makes the whole expression vanishes.

Right?
More generally, the normal ordering produces a vanishing expectation value because either it annihilates the vacuum state sending it to zero, or it changes the bra or ket vector into a state that is orthogonal to the vacuum state (like in the first example) and so this also gives zero expectation value.

Unless we're talking about exponentials of operators that rotate the quantum state in Hilbert space, the exponentials don't do anything except act like a number.

Breo said:
I was operating the first equation in the official post and I reached this relation:

$$ \langle 0 | G_F^{(0)}(x-y)|0 \rangle = G_F^{(0)}(x-y) \langle 0|0 \rangle = G_F^{(0)}(x-y) $$

Is this correct?
The equation you have there is certainly correct.

1. What is Wick's Theorem and how is it used in quantum field theory?

Wick's Theorem is a mathematical tool used to simplify the calculation of time-ordered products in quantum field theory. It allows us to express these products as sums of normal-ordered products, which are easier to evaluate.

2. How does the time-order operator work?

The time-order operator, denoted by the symbol T, is used to ensure that operators in a time-ordered product are arranged in chronological order according to their time arguments. It also includes a sign factor that accounts for the anti-commutation of fermionic operators.

3. What is normal ordering and why is it important?

Normal ordering is a way of arranging operators in a product so that all creation operators appear to the left of annihilation operators. This is important because it simplifies the calculation of quantum mechanical expectation values and makes the results more physically meaningful.

4. How are Green's functions related to Wick's Theorem and time-ordering?

Green's functions are mathematical objects that arise in the application of Wick's Theorem and time-ordering to quantum field theory. They represent the propagating behavior of particles in a quantum field and can be calculated using time-ordered products and normal ordering.

5. What are some practical applications of these concepts?

Wick's Theorem, time-ordering, normal ordering, and Green's functions are important tools for calculating physical quantities such as scattering amplitudes, decay rates, and correlation functions in quantum field theory. They are also used in other areas of physics, such as condensed matter and statistical mechanics, to study the behavior of many-body systems.