Green’s function of Dirac operator

Pouramat
Homework Statement
My question comes from the textbook by Peskin & Schroeder,

If $$S_F(x-y)$$ is Green’s function of Dirac operator, how we should verify
$$ (i {\partial}_{\mu} \gamma^{\mu} -m)S_F (x-y)= i \delta^{(4)} (x-y) . $$
!!Didn’t know how to write slashed partial!!
all of $$\partial _x$$ in my solution are slashed but I did not know how to write it.
Relevant Equations
Using $$S_F(x-y)$$ definition:
\begin{align}
S_F(x-y) &= < 0|T \psi (x) \bar\psi (y) |0> \\
& = \theta(x^0-y^0) <0|\psi (x) \bar\psi (y) |0>- \theta(y^0-x^0) <0|\bar\psi (y) \psi (x) |0>
\end{align}
I started from eq(3.113) and (3.114) of Peskin and merge them with upper relation for $S_F$, as following:
\begin{align}
S_F(x-y) &=
\theta(x^0-y^0)(i \partial_x +m) D(x-y) -\theta(y^0-x^0)(i \partial_x -m) D(y-x) \\
&= \theta(x^0-y^0)(i \partial_x +m) < 0| \phi(x) \phi(y)|0 > -\theta(y^0-x^0)(i \partial_x -m) < 0| \phi(y) \phi(x)|0 >
\end{align}
Now we can calculate Green's Function of Dirac operator using this form of $S_F$
\begin{align}
(i \partial_x -m) S_F =& [(i \partial_x -m) \theta(x^0-y^0)][(i \partial_x +m) < 0| \phi(x) \phi(y)|0 >]\\
&+\theta(x^0-y^0)[(\partial^2-m^2) <0| \phi(x) \phi(y)|0>] \\
&-[(i \partial_x -m) \theta(y^0-x^0)][(i \partial_x-m) <0| \phi(y) \phi(x)|0 >] \\
&- \theta(y^0-x^0)[(i \partial_x -m)(i \partial_x -m)< 0| \phi(y) \phi(x)|0 >]
\end{align}

All of the terms are fine except the last line.The 1st and 3rd terms simplify as following The 2nd term is zero using klein-Gordon equation
The 1st term :
\begin{equation}
[(i \partial_x -m) \theta(x^0-y^0)][(i \partial_x +m) < 0| \phi(x) \phi(y)|0 >] = [-\partial_0 \theta(x^0-y^0)][<0| \pi(x) \phi(y)|0>]
\end{equation}
The 3nd term:
\begin{equation}
[(i \partial_x -m) \theta(y^0-x^0)][(i \partial_x +m) < 0| \phi(y) \phi(x)|0 >] = [-\partial_0 \theta(y^0-x^0)][< 0| \phi(x) \pi(y)|0 >]
\end{equation}
if the 4th term like the 2nd term was Klein-Gordon equation the problem gets solved, but it isn't.

Last edited:

1. What is the Green's function of a Dirac operator?

The Green's function of a Dirac operator is a mathematical function that describes the response of the Dirac operator to a point source in the underlying space. It is a fundamental tool in solving differential equations involving the Dirac operator.

2. How is the Green's function of a Dirac operator used in physics?

In physics, the Green's function of a Dirac operator is often used to calculate scattering amplitudes, study quantum field theory, and understand the behavior of particles in relativistic quantum mechanics. It provides a way to analyze the behavior of systems described by the Dirac equation.

3. What are the properties of the Green's function of a Dirac operator?

The Green's function of a Dirac operator typically satisfies certain properties, such as being a solution to the Dirac equation with a delta function source, being Hermitian, and having specific transformation properties under Lorentz transformations. These properties make it a powerful tool in theoretical physics.

4. How is the Green's function of a Dirac operator calculated?

The Green's function of a Dirac operator can be calculated using various mathematical techniques, such as Fourier transforms, contour integration, and spectral decomposition. The specific method used depends on the particular form of the Dirac operator and the boundary conditions of the problem being studied.

5. What are some applications of the Green's function of a Dirac operator?

The Green's function of a Dirac operator has numerous applications in theoretical physics, including in quantum field theory, condensed matter physics, and particle physics. It is used to study scattering processes, calculate correlation functions, and understand the behavior of fermionic systems in relativistic quantum mechanics.