Absolute color - magnitude diagram

In summary, the conversation is about finding a distance to a cluster via Main Sequence fitting and the need for absolute color-magnitude diagrams with data tables. A suggestion is made to use J.simbad, which has apparent magnitudes and distances for many stars in both the B and V bands. The possibility of manual calculation is mentioned, but the person is seeking a ready data table for near by stars.
captain.joco
Hello all,

I am finding a distance to a cluster via Main Sequence fitting, and I don't know where to find an absolute color - magnitude diagram ( B-V, and V ). I can be from any star cluster, or sky region, as long as the magnitudes are absolute. I need the data tables, not just a pretty picture ( that Google with easily show ). If you have idea where to find some data, please do tell me ( I ideally, I would like to plot more then 100 stars on my color magnitude diagram ).

Thank You all!
J.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
simbad has apparent magnitudes for a lot of stars in both the B and V bands. It also has the distances to many of these stars so you can find their absolute magnitudes.

From my experience, when dealing with filters capital letters need not mean absolute magnitude. Usually B-V is done in apparent magnitude. It shouldn't matter except for preferential extinction which will be negligible for closer stars.

Hey thanks for your answer. I have thought of that, but I wouldn't like to do that manually for ~100 stars.. Isnt any ready data table of absolute magnitudes and colors out there ( at least for near by stars? ) Thanks

What is an absolute color-magnitude diagram?

An absolute color-magnitude diagram is a graphical representation of the absolute magnitude (a measure of a star's intrinsic brightness) of stars plotted against their color index (a measure of a star's color). It is used to study the properties and evolution of stars in a particular region of the sky.

How is an absolute color-magnitude diagram different from an apparent color-magnitude diagram?

An apparent color-magnitude diagram plots the apparent magnitude (a measure of a star's brightness as seen from Earth) of stars against their color index, while an absolute color-magnitude diagram plots the absolute magnitude of stars against their color index. The difference is that the absolute magnitude takes into account the distance of the star from Earth, while the apparent magnitude does not.

What can an absolute color-magnitude diagram tell us about stars?

An absolute color-magnitude diagram can tell us about the properties and evolution of stars in a particular region of the sky. By analyzing the distribution of stars on the diagram, we can determine the age, mass, and temperature of stars, as well as their stage in the stellar evolution process.

How is an absolute color-magnitude diagram created?

An absolute color-magnitude diagram is created by plotting the absolute magnitude of stars against their color index. The absolute magnitude is calculated by correcting for the distance of the star from Earth, while the color index is determined by measuring the difference in brightness of a star in two or more different wavelengths of light.

What are the limitations of an absolute color-magnitude diagram?

An absolute color-magnitude diagram is limited by factors such as the accuracy of distance measurements, the presence of interstellar dust, and the effects of stellar variability. It is also important to note that the diagram only represents a snapshot of a particular region of the sky, and may not accurately reflect the overall properties and evolution of all stars in the universe.