How to Determine Absolute Magnitude

In summary, the speaker is looking for an equation to determine a star's absolute magnitude, but all existing formulas require the star's apparent magnitude, which in turn requires knowing the distance from the observer. The speaker plans to use a "best guess" at a star's classification and use the absolute magnitude to refine it. However, there is a problem with incomplete classifications, such as C, S, and WN, for which the speaker only has temperature and radius data but not magnitudes. After further research, the speaker has found that absolute magnitude is simply the apparent magnitude at ten parsecs, so they plan to use this constant distance in the existing formulas.
ckirmser
Hello, all.

I'm trying to find an equation to determine a star's absolute magnitude in order to populate a table of stellar characteristics.

Unfortunately, every formula I've run across requires a star's apparent magnitude and that requires knowing how far the star is from the observer.

But, I need a general case formula.

Basically, I have a star catalog, but many of the stars do not have a complete classification; perhaps they are listed as AIII, or M4.5, or, simply K. I'm going to provide a "best guess" at the full classification, by taking the parts that are known, and using the absolute magnitude to finesse the value.

For example, suppose I have a star listed as A0 with an absolute magnitude of -3.36.

By the data I already have, A0Ib has an absolute magnitude of -5.3, A0II has -3.4 and A0III has -0.3.

Using averages to get the boundary between each entry - not perfect, but it's the best I have - I find that -3.36 falls within the boundary of -4.35 to -1.85 for an A0II star. So, I correct the incomplete entry to A0II.

The problem is with star classes for which the table is incomplete; like classes C, S, WN, etc. I have the temperatures for these classes and their radii in solar units, but not their magnitudes.

Any thoughts?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
OK, I think I've found the answer. From further reading, I've found that absolute magnitude is simply the apparent magnitude at ten parsecs. So, I just plug in that constant distance to the formulas I've found.

1. What is absolute magnitude?

Absolute magnitude is the measure of the intrinsic brightness of an object, such as a star or planet. It is the apparent magnitude of an object if it were located at a distance of 10 parsecs (32.6 light years) from the observer.

2. How is absolute magnitude different from apparent magnitude?

Apparent magnitude is the measure of an object's brightness as seen by an observer on Earth, taking into account the distance between the object and the observer. Absolute magnitude, on the other hand, is the measure of the object's true brightness, regardless of its distance from Earth.

3. What factors affect the determination of absolute magnitude?

The main factors that affect the determination of absolute magnitude are the object's luminosity (amount of energy it emits), distance from Earth, and any interstellar absorption or scattering of light between the object and Earth.

4. How is absolute magnitude calculated?

The formula for calculating absolute magnitude is: M = m - 5log(d/10), where M is the absolute magnitude, m is the apparent magnitude, and d is the distance to the object in parsecs. This formula takes into account the inverse square law of light, which states that the brightness of an object decreases with the square of the distance.

5. Why is it important to determine an object's absolute magnitude?

Determining an object's absolute magnitude allows us to compare the true brightness of different objects, regardless of their distance from Earth. This can help us understand the properties and evolution of celestial objects, and also allows us to make accurate predictions about their behavior and characteristics.