Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to Determine Absolute Magnitude

1. Jan 15, 2014 #1
    Hello, all.

I'm trying to find an equation to determine a star's absolute magnitude in order to populate a table of stellar characteristics.

Unfortunately, every formula I've run across requires a star's apparent magnitude and that requires knowing how far the star is from the observer.

But, I need a general case formula.

Basically, I have a star catalog, but many of the stars do not have a complete classification; perhaps they are listed as AIII, or M4.5, or, simply K. I'm going to provide a "best guess" at the full classification, by taking the parts that are known, and using the absolute magnitude to finesse the value.

For example, suppose I have a star listed as A0 with an absolute magnitude of -3.36.

By the data I already have, A0Ib has an absolute magnitude of -5.3, A0II has -3.4 and A0III has -0.3.

Using averages to get the boundary between each entry - not perfect, but it's the best I have - I find that -3.36 falls within the boundary of -4.35 to -1.85 for an A0II star. So, I correct the incomplete entry to A0II.

The problem is with star classes for which the table is incomplete; like classes C, S, WN, etc. I have the temperatures for these classes and their radii in solar units, but not their magnitudes.

Any thoughts?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2014 #2
    OK, I think I've found the answer. From further reading, I've found that absolute magnitude is simply the apparent magnitude at ten parsecs. So, I just plug in that constant distance to the formulas I've found.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook