Absolute value appears on both sides of equals sign

In summary, Homework Statement is about solving equations with more than one absolute value quantity.
ECHOSIDE

Homework Statement

solve for x:

5|7-3x|+2=4|7-3x|-1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

7-3x>0
-3x>-7
x<3/7
{x|x<3/7} quantity is positive
{x|x>3/7} quantity is negative

I have never solved an equation with more than one absolute value quantity in it and am not sure how to start. Assistance would be wonderful!

Physics news on Phys.org
ECHOSIDE said:

Homework Statement

solve for x:

5|7-3x|+2=4|7-3x|-1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

7-3x>0
-3x>-7
x<3/7
{x|x<3/7} quantity is positive
{x|x>3/7} quantity is negative

I have never solved an equation with more than one absolute value quantity in it and am not sure how to start. Assistance would be wonderful!

Simplify your equation first.
1) Add -2 to both sides.
2) Add -4|7-3x| to both sides.

SOLVED

5|7-3x|+2=4|7-3x|-1
5|7-3x|=4|7-3x|-3
|7-3x|=-3
There are no solutions.

Thanks, Mark44!

I know you've 'solved' it already - but something that I do for any equation with an 'inner function' is set that inner function to a variable. It makes the equation less daunting to look at (and can be easier/neater to write!).

How much easier does the following look to solve? Set a=|7-3x| and:

5a+2=4a-1

Simplify down, best you can, then put your 'a' back into the equation to finish solving.

mege said:
I know you've 'solved' it already - but something that I do for any equation with an 'inner function' is set that inner function to a variable. It makes the equation less daunting to look at (and can be easier/neater to write!).

How much easier does the following look to solve? Set a=|7-3x| and:

5a+2=4a-1

Simplify down, best you can, then put your 'a' back into the equation to finish solving.

That's a great suggestion. I do that with trig functions so I don't get all algebra-ey on them

Mark44 and mege, thank you for your guidance.
How helpful you both have been! Mege, your suggestion is wonderful. That is a skill I'm adding to my list and will not forget.
This question was my first post on physicsforums.com and I am impressed by and thankful for the responses.
Thank you for involving me in your community.

1. What does it mean when absolute value appears on both sides of an equals sign?

When absolute value appears on both sides of an equals sign, it means that the equations on either side are equal in magnitude, regardless of their sign. In other words, the absolute value of the expressions on both sides is the same.

2. Why would absolute value appear on both sides of an equals sign?

This can happen in equations involving absolute value functions, where the solution may have two possible values depending on the sign of the expression inside the absolute value. In order to represent both solutions, the absolute value must appear on both sides of the equals sign.

3. Can absolute value be eliminated from both sides of an equation?

Yes, if the absolute value expressions on both sides are identical and have a positive sign, then the absolute value can be removed from both sides of the equation. However, if the expressions have different signs, then the equation cannot be solved without the absolute value remaining on both sides.

4. How do I solve equations with absolute value on both sides?

To solve equations with absolute value on both sides, you must first isolate the absolute value expression on one side of the equation. Then, you can remove the absolute value by considering both the positive and negative solutions. Finally, you can solve for the variable as you would in a regular equation.

5. Can absolute value equations have infinite solutions?

Yes, if the absolute value expressions on both sides are exactly the same, then there are infinite solutions to the equation. This is because any value for the variable will make both sides of the equation equal. However, if the expressions are different, then there will only be one or two solutions to the equation.