Absolute Value (algebraic version)....2

In summary, the content of the conversation is about the algebraic version of absolute value and how to rewrite expressions without using absolute value notation. The conversation also includes a disagreement about the user's readiness for precalculus and the negative comments they receive on the site. The expert summarizer suggests that the user should focus on finding similarities in problems and using the solutions to one problem to solve others.
  • #1
nycmathguy
Homework Statement
Rewrite each expression without using absolute value notation.
Relevant Equations
n/a
Absolute Value (algebraic version)
Rule:

| x | = x when x ≥ 0

| x | = -x when x > 0

Rewrite each expression without using absolute value notation.

Question 1

| x^4 + 1 |

I say x^4 + 1 is a positive value.

My answer is x^4 + 1.

Question 2

|-sqrt{3} - sqrt{5} |

The value of -sqrt{3} - sqrt{5} is negative.

So, -(-sqrt{3} - sqrt{5}) becomes
sqrt{3} + sqrt{5}.

You say?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
  • #2
I agree.
Ssnow
 
  • #3
Ssnow said:
I agree.
Ssnow
Really? I got it right? This can't be true. I'm not ready for precalculus or so they say.
 
  • #4
nycmathguy said:
I'm not ready for precalculus or so they say.
You're still in chapter 1, right? If you were really doing as well as you think you are, you wouldn't need to have forum members check each and every problem you post.

As I recall, you had a fair amount of difficulty coming up with a solution to the diagonals of a parallelogram, and some more difficulty at find the equation of a linear function when you were given two points on it.
 
  • Love
Likes symbolipoint
  • #5
Mark44 said:
You're still in chapter 1, right? If you were really doing as well as you think you are, you wouldn't need to have forum members check each and every problem you post.

As I recall, you had a fair amount of difficulty coming up with a solution to the diagonals of a parallelogram, and some more difficulty at find the equation of a linear function when you were given two points on it.
Each chapter in the textbook is divided into several sections. I am going section by section, problem by problem, if that's even possible, and having fun along the way. Are you saying I should be in chapter 5 or 6 or 7? I will eventually get there.

I don't feel a need for speed. No exam the next day. No teacher to answer to. No student pressure. I joined this site not seeking compassion but patience and understanding.

I know that this is a volunteer site, like most others, but I was hoping to land a spot here without all the negativity and senseless comments that lead to arguments. This is a physics and math site not a site to fight about useless information.
 
  • #6
nycmathguy said:
but I was hoping to land a spot here without all the negativity and senseless comments that lead to arguments. This is a physics and math site not a site to fight about useless information.
The negativity comes from your interpretation that our comments are useless, and your refusal to deem them helpful. If someone comes here to ask for help, and we provide help and guidance, but you ignore any and all suggestions, what are we to think? You and I went round and round about adding helpful Homework Statements and Relevant Equations, which I assume that you still consider to be some of the "senseless" comments. As I explained before, having a clear idea of what you're trying to do, and what you need to do it with, goes a long way toward being able to solve the problem.

No one is saying you should be in chapter 5 or whatever -- if that's the implication you drew, you're way off. What we would like to see, though, is some realization that you shouldn't need to post, say, three questions about determining a particular linear equation. A better strategy is to think about what is similar in those questions, and what you learn from one problem can be applied to others of almost exactly the same type.
 
  • Like
Likes SammyS
  • #7
Mark44 said:
The negativity comes from your interpretation that our comments are useless, and your refusal to deem them helpful. If someone comes here to ask for help, and we provide help and guidance, but you ignore any and all suggestions, what are we to think? You and I went round and round about adding helpful Homework Statements and Relevant Equations, which I assume that you still consider to be some of the "senseless" comments. As I explained before, having a clear idea of what you're trying to do, and what you need to do it with, goes a long way toward being able to solve the problem.

No one is saying you should be in chapter 5 or whatever -- if that's the implication you drew, you're way off. What we would like to see, though, is some realization that you shouldn't need to post, say, three questions about determining a particular linear equation. A better strategy is to think about what is similar in those questions, and what you learn from one problem can be applied to others of almost exactly the same type.
You said:

"What we would like to see, though, is some realization that you shouldn't need to post, say, three questions about determining a particular linear equation. A better strategy is to think about what is similar in those questions, and what you learn from one problem can be applied to others of almost exactly the same type."

Can you give me an example?
 
  • #8
nycmathguy said:
Can you give me an example?
Sure. Here are three of your threads on finding a linear equation:

Here are four threads on absolute values:
There were at least two threads on finding the equation of a circle. If you know the center and the radius, it's trivial to get the equation. If you know two points on the diameter, you can find the radius and the center, and then write the circle's equation.

What I and others are saying is that it would be beneficial for you to think about the similarities of these problems, and, once you've found the solution to one, use the ideas to be able to convince yourself, without the crutch of this site, that you can work through similar problems.
 
  • Like
Likes Delta2

Related to Absolute Value (algebraic version)....2

1. What is absolute value in algebra?

Absolute value in algebra is a mathematical concept that represents the distance of a number from zero on a number line. It is always a positive value, regardless of the sign of the number.

2. How is absolute value written in algebraic form?

The algebraic form of absolute value is represented by enclosing the number or expression within two vertical bars, such as |x| or |3x+2|.

3. What is the difference between absolute value and regular value in algebra?

The regular value of a number or expression is simply its numerical value, while absolute value takes into account the distance from zero. For example, the regular value of -5 is 5, but the absolute value is still 5 because it is 5 units away from zero.

4. How do you solve absolute value equations in algebra?

To solve an absolute value equation, you must isolate the absolute value expression and then consider two cases: when the value inside the absolute value is positive and when it is negative. You will end up with two equations to solve and the solutions will be the values that make the absolute value expression equal to the number on the other side of the equation.

5. What is the purpose of absolute value in algebra?

Absolute value has many applications in algebra, such as finding the distance between two points on a coordinate plane, solving inequalities, and simplifying complex expressions. It is also used in real-life situations, such as calculating speed and distance in physics or determining the magnitude of a vector in mathematics.

Similar threads

  • Precalculus Mathematics Homework Help
Replies
2
Views
914
  • Precalculus Mathematics Homework Help
Replies
6
Views
268
  • Precalculus Mathematics Homework Help
Replies
7
Views
825
  • Precalculus Mathematics Homework Help
Replies
11
Views
1K
  • Precalculus Mathematics Homework Help
Replies
3
Views
837
  • Precalculus Mathematics Homework Help
Replies
8
Views
846
  • Precalculus Mathematics Homework Help
Replies
4
Views
286
  • Precalculus Mathematics Homework Help
Replies
4
Views
1K
  • Precalculus Mathematics Homework Help
Replies
10
Views
538
  • Precalculus Mathematics Homework Help
Replies
9
Views
874
Back
Top