Absolute zero and non particle movement

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of absolute zero and whether particles truly stop moving at this temperature. The uncertainty principle and classical thermodynamics are mentioned as factors that affect the ability to reach absolute zero. The definition of absolute zero and its connection to entropy are also discussed. Ultimately, it is concluded that while particles may not technically stop moving at absolute zero, the concept still holds true due to the laws of classical thermodynamics.
Vals509
i have read in some articles that when 0 Kelvin is achieved then particle movement within the cooled substance ceases. but my doubt is that einstein said that all objects have constant movement. this means that if the particles really stop then they will kind of stop in time because it is longer moving through space time. this i believe is not possible but am not sure of a reason. i think it may have to do with the frame of reference but cannot find a direct solution. can someone tell me a way to solve this paradox.

Physics news on Phys.org
No Einstein did not say that. That is basically the "uncertainty priciple" due to Werner Heisenberg, not Einstein. Einstein isn't the only scientist to have deep thoughts! And you are correct that means it is impossible to reach absolute zero. I don't know what "paradox" you mean. I see no paradox here.

i thought that the paradox was in effect, if we thought that absolute zero is achievable. can anyone verify that 0 K is achievable or not?

It has been experimentally verified that you cannot reach within some fraction of a degree of absolute 0, yes.

It's not possible to reach absolute zero; classical thermodynamics prohibits it. (and quantum physics doesn't change this)

Classically, particles are not moving at absolute zero, and quantum physics did change that: due to the uncertainty principle, things do have some kinetic energy even at their lowest achievable energy state.

This has no effect on the concept or reality of absolute zero though, because it was not originally defined in terms of the motion of particles. Indeed, it was introduced by Clausius (IIRC) around 1850-ish, long before the 'atomic theory of matter' had been commonly accepted among physicists. Rather, the definition of 'absolute zero' came about through the much more general concept of entropy - as entropy is linear with absolute temperature (barring phase changes), you can extrapolate back to the temperature where S = 0, which is absolute zero.

So as long as classical thermodynamics holds, you will have an absolute zero regardless of whether or not the particles are actually motionless and regardless of whether matter is even composed of particles.

1. What is absolute zero?

Absolute zero is the lowest possible temperature, at which all particle motion stops and no heat energy can be extracted from a system.

2. How is absolute zero measured?

Absolute zero is measured in Kelvin (K) on the Kelvin scale, which is based on the behavior of gases at low temperatures.

3. What happens at absolute zero?

At absolute zero, particles have no kinetic energy and therefore do not move. All thermal motion ceases, and the system reaches its minimum possible energy state.

4. Is it possible for a system to reach absolute zero?

No, it is impossible for a physical system to reach absolute zero, as it would require the complete absence of all thermal energy. However, scientists have been able to cool particles to extremely low temperatures, approaching but not reaching absolute zero.

5. How does absolute zero relate to the behavior of particles?

Absolute zero is the point at which particles stop moving, as they have no thermal energy. This behavior is described by the third law of thermodynamics, which states that the entropy of a perfect crystal at absolute zero is zero.