Why is there no maximum temperature?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of absolute zero, the speed of light, and the relationship between temperature and kinetic energy. The concept of Planck's limit is mentioned as a potential link to the maximum temperature. The idea of reaching absolute zero is also debated, with some mentioning the Heisenberg uncertainty principle and others arguing that it is not achievable. The conversation also touches on the possibility of negative temperatures, which are hotter than an infinite temperature.
Sdog
Given that absolute zero is the lowest temperature possible, were all particles have zero vibration. And given that the speed of light is the highest speed any object, particle, sub atomic or not can travel. Using 2 of the most fundamental laws of physics thermodynamics and general relativity. If all sub atomic or rather if all findamental particles are vibrating at the speed of light in a solid or bumping into each other in a gas at the same speed, is this not surley the absolute maximum temperature?? Please discuss, irrelevant if praticly possible theoretically i believe this is the absolute max

Likes ScientistAlexandrus
Science news on Phys.org
Sdog said:
Given that absolute zero is the lowest temperature possible, were all particles have zero vibration. And given that the speed of light is the highest speed any object, particle, sub atomic or not can travel. Using 2 of the most fundamental laws of physics thermodynamics and general relativity. If all sub atomic or rather if all findamental particles are vibrating at the speed of light in a solid or bumping into each other in a gas at the same speed, is this not surley the absolute maximum temperature?? Please discuss, irrelevant if praticly possible theoretically i believe this is the absolute max
(Thread prefix changed from "A" = Advanced / PhD level to "I" = Intermediate / Undergraduate level)

Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Have you learned about the Lorentz Factor yet? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorentz_factor

Sdog said:
There is. Look up Planck's temperature.

Sdog said:
Given that absolute zero is the lowest temperature possible, were all particles have zero vibration. And given that the speed of light is the highest speed any object, particle, sub atomic or not can travel. Using 2 of the most fundamental laws of physics thermodynamics and general relativity. If all sub atomic or rather if all findamental particles are vibrating at the speed of light in a solid or bumping into each other in a gas at the same speed, is this not surley the absolute maximum temperature??
Temperature is related to kinetic energy. The speed of light does not provide a limit to kinetic energy; kinetic energy increases without limit as you approach it.

It is in all probability linked to Planck's limit which is also based on the Limit to the Speed of Light. Temperature is a resultant of Heat which itself is a form of Energy. What happens is that if you need more Energy at a point or a defined region and start bringing that region with energy and that reaches the Planck's limit,you get a Black Hole where the laws of Physics as we know yet,break down. We can't comprehend the things beyond the Event Horizon so that is not treated with too much relevance to the Temperature. So,by and large,this is the reason why you don't see "Infinite" temperature.

And,Absolute Zero is possible? I don't think you can "reach" Absolute zero like that. Even if you go to the lowest possible energy states,there is always some Quantum vibrations and fluctuations as per the Heisenberg principle. In theory and principle,you cannot probably reach that point is what I believe at least according to the conventional Science we have as of now. You can probably go near and near that temperature as it becomes harder to proceed further and at one point becomes impossible. I wish to be corrected on this,though.

Flatland said:
There is. Look up Planck's temperature.

Planck units are not the biggest or smallest of anything. The Planck resistance is 30 ohms.

ScientistAlexandrus said:
It is in all probability linked to Planck's limit which is also based on the Limit to the Speed of Light.

See above.

Likes Mister T and weirdoguy
Sdog said:
Given that absolute zero is the lowest temperature possible, were all particles have zero vibration.
This is a very naive view of temperature. First, even at absolute zero, there can be residual zero-point energy (e.g., a molecule vibrates even at T = 0). Second, what about negative temperatures, which are actually hotter than an infinite temperature?

russ_watters said:
Temperature is related to kinetic energy. The speed of light does not provide a limit to kinetic energy; kinetic energy increases without limit as you approach it.
If temmperature is the average of all particles kinetic energy in a substance and in this theoretical scenario all particles are moving at the speed of light then it does have an effect

Sdog said:
If temmperature is the average of all particles kinetic energy in a substance and in this theoretical scenario all particles are moving at the speed of light then it does have an effect
What effect is that? Did you understand what I wrote? I should add that particles can't move at the speed of light. Do you understand why and how that relates to what I said?

Vanadium 50 said:
Planck units are not the biggest or smallest of anything. The Planck resistance is 30 ohms.
See above.
Planck's temperature has a specific unit of 1.417×10^32 kelvin

Flatland said:
Planck's temperature has a specific unit of 1.417×10^32 kelvin

So what?

weirdoguy said:
So what?

I can say the same about your previous comment.

It was my first comment. Besides, you said that Planck temperature is the highest possible, which is not true. Then you gave its value, which does not change the fact that it's not the highest temperature, so I wonder what's your point.

1. Why can't the temperature keep increasing indefinitely?

The maximum temperature of a substance is determined by its chemical and physical properties. As the temperature increases, the particles within the substance gain more energy and move faster, eventually reaching a point where they can no longer move any faster. This is known as the substance's melting point or boiling point, depending on the state of matter. Beyond this point, the substance will undergo a phase change, such as melting or evaporating, rather than increasing in temperature.

2. Is there a limit to how hot something can get?

There is no theoretical limit to how hot something can get, but there are practical limitations based on the properties of the substance. For example, the highest recorded temperature on Earth is 134 degrees Fahrenheit, but in the core of the sun, temperatures can reach over 27 million degrees Fahrenheit. However, these extreme temperatures are only possible due to the unique properties of the sun's core and cannot be replicated on Earth.

3. Can temperature continue to increase in a closed system?

In a closed system, where no energy is added or removed, the temperature will eventually reach an equilibrium point where the rate of energy being added is equal to the rate of energy being lost. This means that the temperature will no longer increase, but instead remain constant. This is known as the system's maximum temperature.

4. Why does temperature increase with altitude?

The temperature typically decreases with altitude in the Earth's atmosphere, but in the stratosphere, it actually increases. This is due to the absorption of UV radiation by ozone in the stratosphere, which causes the temperature to rise. However, in outer space, where there is no atmosphere to absorb radiation, the temperature can continue to increase with altitude.

5. What happens to temperature at absolute zero?

Absolute zero is the lowest possible temperature, at which all molecular motion stops. At this point, there is no more energy to be extracted from a substance, so its temperature cannot decrease any further. However, absolute zero has never been reached as it is impossible to completely remove all energy from a substance. The lowest recorded temperature is 0.0000000001 Kelvin, achieved in a laboratory using sophisticated cooling techniques.