Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Absorbance and Stray light helppp!

1. Apr 7, 2005 #1
    Hi, I've a chem assignment in which I've to calculate the stray light, Ps as a percentage of the incident light, Po.

Given the apparent absorbance A(app) 0.047, concentration of the solution 2.00 x 10pwr-6, cell length of 1cm, activity coefficients = 1.

I calculated the transmittance to be A = -log T , where T = 0.8974

T = P + Ps / Po + Ps = 0.8974
    T = P / Po = 0.8974

I'm stuck after that with 2 unknowns in the equation. Could someone advice me on this?

Thanks a lot!
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 7, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It would help (yourself) a great deal if you could describe the experiment involved.
  4. Apr 7, 2005 #3
    Okie, this is the question given:

The apparent absorbance of a solution of a weak acid, HA, was measured at different pH values (you may assume the pH meter was correctly calibrated, that activity coefficients are unity throughout, and that concentrations are reliable. A 1.00cm cell was used. None of the buffers used absorbs at the wavelength used. Results were as follows:

Concentration, M - 2.00 x 10pwr-6

Apparent Absorbance:
    0.047 at pH 2,
    0.045 at pH 4,
    0.018 at pH 6,
    0.010 at pH 8,
    0.009 at pH 10

1) Calculate the stray light, Ps, as a percentage of the incident light, Po, in the spectrophotometer used.

Thanks again! :smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?