Absorption And Emission Of Light According To Quantum Mechanics

In summary: It was very enlightening! I think that my concept may actually work, as I was able to calculate the probabilities involved, even though I am not sure if my reasoning is correct.
ns_phonon
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to double check on a fundamental concept of quantum physics.

Let us consider a monochromatic beam of photons,incident on a material(of a finite thickness,say 15 cm.) which reflects, transmits, and also absorb photons.

Now, in QED by RP Feynman it is stated that there is no way to tell surely whether a photon interacting with matter would be reflected or transmitted. All we can count is the probability of how much photons that will be transmitted or reflected by looking at the intensity of transmitted and reflected electromagnetic raditions.

So,according to this concept, even when a photon has energy to electronically excite electron to higher energy state and it falls on the surface of such a material, whether a photon will be absorbed or pass away without causing excitation depends just depends on probability and it is not compulsory for a photon to be absorbed if it has energy to cause electronic excitation.

And also when the electron falls back to ground state whether it will release energy by photo-emission(reverse of photon absorption) or by emission of thermal phonons(Thermal de-excitation) also depends on probability and we cannot directly tell that a particular event(here, photon-emission or thermal de-excitation) is 100% sure to happen.

Am I correct or is there a fundamental flaw in my concept. If so, please help by proper reasoning.

Thanks For Your Kind Attention:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
ns_phonon said:
Am I correct or is there a fundamental flaw in my concept. If so, please help by proper reasoning.

Yes - in QM all we can predict is probabilities.

In fact QM can be viewed as a generalization of standard probability theory:
http://www.scottaaronson.com/democritus/lec9.html

Thanks
Bill

Likes 1 person
Thank You very much Mr. Bhobba...! for your attention and the fantastic link..!

1. What is absorption and emission of light according to quantum mechanics?

Absorption and emission of light according to quantum mechanics refer to the processes by which atoms and molecules absorb and emit photons of light. This is based on the principles of quantum mechanics, which describe the behavior of particles at the atomic and subatomic level.

2. How does absorption and emission of light occur?

Absorption of light occurs when an atom or molecule absorbs a photon, causing an electron to move to a higher energy state. Emission of light occurs when an excited electron releases energy in the form of a photon and returns to a lower energy state.

3. What is the role of energy levels in absorption and emission of light?

Energy levels play a crucial role in absorption and emission of light. When an electron absorbs a photon, it moves to a higher energy level. When it emits a photon, it moves to a lower energy level. The specific energy levels of an atom or molecule determine the wavelengths of light that can be absorbed and emitted.

4. How is the absorption and emission of light described mathematically?

The absorption and emission of light are described mathematically using the Schrödinger equation, which is the fundamental equation of quantum mechanics. This equation allows us to calculate the probabilities of different energy levels and transitions between them.

5. What are the practical applications of understanding absorption and emission of light according to quantum mechanics?

Understanding absorption and emission of light according to quantum mechanics has many practical applications in fields such as spectroscopy, quantum computing, and telecommunications. It also helps us understand the behavior of materials and their interactions with light, leading to advancements in technology and scientific research.