Abstract Algebra: Finding Conjugates

In summary, a conjugate in abstract algebra is defined as an element in a group that has a specific relationship with another element in the same group. To find the conjugate of an element a, you simply multiply it by another element b and the inverse of b in the order ab^-1. Finding conjugates is important in abstract algebra as it helps us understand the structure and properties of groups. Conjugates can also be used to solve equations in abstract algebra. They are not unique, as every element has infinitely many conjugates, but the set of all conjugates for a specific element forms a conjugacy class.
The_Iceflash

Homework Statement

Consider this group of six matrices:

Let G = {I, A, B, C, D, K}, Matrix Multiplication>

[tex]I =\begin{bmatrix}1 & 0\\0 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex] [tex]A =\begin{bmatrix}0 & 1\\1 & 0\end{bmatrix}[/tex] [tex]B =\begin{bmatrix}0 & 1\\-1 & -1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

[tex]C =\begin{bmatrix}-1 & -1\\0 & 1\end{bmatrix}[/tex] [tex]D =\begin{bmatrix}-1 & -1\\1 & 0\end{bmatrix}[/tex] [tex]K =\begin{bmatrix}1 & 0\\-1 & -1\end{bmatrix}[/tex]

Operation Table for this group:

_|I A B C D K
I |I A B C D K
A|A I C B K D
B|B K D A I C
C|C D K I A B
D|D C I K B A
K|K B A D C I

Define [tex] f:G\rightarrow[/tex] [tex]\left\langle\(R^{*}, \bullet\right\rangle[/tex] by f(x) = det(x) for any Matrix x [tex]\in[/tex] G.Finally, the question. Haha.

Find all the conjugates of A:
Find all the conjugates of B:

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Now I know this isn't that hard of a concept and I understand what a conjugate is but I don't know how to find them. Any help on how I would go about finding them is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For conjugates of A,

G={I, A, B, C, D, K}

I^-1*A*I=A
B^-1*A*B=D*C=K
C^-1*A*C=C*B=K
D^-1*A*D=B*K=C
K^-1*A*K=K*D=C

So K and C are conjugates of A.

Do same procedure to find conjugates of B.

Or given the fact that you've worked out the multiplication table, you can see by inspection that it's a nonabelian group of of order 6. (You don't need to check the associative law because that's taken care of by the elements being real matrices under multiplication.)

That means it's isomorphic to S3 and the conjugacy classes are
(i) the identity
(ii) the elements of order 2
(iii) the rest

The identity is I of course.
The elements of order 2 can be read off by finding I on the main diagonal, so A,C,K.
And the rest is B,D.

Of course you need to have proved that there is only one nonabelian group of order 6, and determined the conjugacy classes in S3 first.

Ok I understand that. Thanks. One question though, can A or B be considered a conjugate of either x-1Ax or x-1Bx respectively?

Yes. For take the identity element, I^-1*A*I=A So A is a conjugate of A, and likewise B is a conjugate of itself.

1. What is a conjugate in abstract algebra?

A conjugate in abstract algebra refers to an element in a group that has a specific relationship with another element in the same group. Specifically, the conjugate of an element a with respect to another element b is defined as bab^-1.

2. How do I find the conjugate of an element in abstract algebra?

To find the conjugate of an element a in abstract algebra, you first need to know the element b it is being conjugated with. Then, simply multiply a by b and the inverse of b in the order ab^-1 to find the conjugate of a with respect to b.

3. Why is finding conjugates important in abstract algebra?

Finding conjugates is important in abstract algebra because it allows us to understand the structure and properties of groups. Conjugates help us identify subgroups, normal subgroups, and other important characteristics of a group.

4. Can conjugates be used to solve equations in abstract algebra?

Yes, conjugates can be used to solve equations in abstract algebra. By finding the conjugate of an element in an equation, we can simplify the equation and potentially find a solution.

5. Are conjugates unique in abstract algebra?

No, conjugates are not unique in abstract algebra. In fact, every element in a group has infinitely many conjugates, as multiplying by different elements can result in different conjugates. However, the set of all conjugates for a specific element forms a conjugacy class, which can help us understand the structure of a group.