1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Abstract math prove involwing sets

1. Feb 27, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let Ts denote the set of points in the x; y plane lying on the square whose
    vertices are (-s; s), (s; s), (s;-s), (-s;-s), but not interior to the square. For
    example, T1 consists of the vertices (-1; 1), (1; 1), (1;-1), (-1;-1) and the
    four line segments joining them. Let
    S = union of Ts, where s is an element of positive real numbers
    Determine a set J, that is not de ned in terms of unions, that equals S. Prove
    that S and J are equal.
    Please help. I have no idea how to start that problem. What I figure out is that J=AuBuCuD, where set A={ (x,y)| (x,y)=(s,y), for -s≤y≤s} B={(x,y)| (x,y)=(-s,y), for -s≤y≤s}, C={(x,y)| (x,y)=(x,s), for -s≤x≤s}, D={(x,y)| (x,y)=(x,-s), for -s≤x≤s}
    I do not know how to write down set S in different form and how to prove that J=S

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2012 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Try explaining in words what points of the plane are contained in [itex]\cup T_s[/itex]. Alternatively, it might be easier to identify what points are NOT contained in the union.

4. Feb 28, 2012 #3

Deveno

Science Advisor

here are a couple of hints:

suppose (x,y) lies on some square Ts. if (x,y) is in the 4th quadrant, then (x,-y) is in the 1st quadrant, on the same square Ts. if (x,y) is in the 3rd quadrant, then
    (-x,-y) is on the same square in the first quadrant, if (x,y) is in the 2nd quadrant, then (-x,y) is in the 1st quadrant.

so you may as well just consider (x,y) in the first quadrant, from symmetry considerations.

now show that if x = y, (x,y) is the corner of some square (which one?), if x > y, (x,y) is on the right vertical side of some square (again: which one, that is...what is s?), and if y < x, then (x,y) is on the top edge of some square (and s is...?).

of course, not every point of the plane is in a quadrant. some points lie on the x-axis, and some points lie on the y-axis. consider these points seperately.

last hint: is a square with sides of length 0 allowed?

5. Feb 28, 2012 #4
    So in my set s cannot equal -s. Would that take care of the problem with 0 side length? But in that problem it does not say that it can't but it says that s is a positive real number, so 0 it is not included because 0 is not negative nor positive.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2012
  6. Feb 29, 2012 #5

Deveno

Science Advisor

you are correct that 0 is not a positive real number.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook