AC Resonance Experiment: Missed Step in Procedure!

In summary, the resonant frequency of an AC current in a parallel RLC circuit is determined by the load's impedance.
Having carried outan AC Resonance experiment recently, I find that I have missed a simple step in the procedure- or left it out of my lab book - grrr!

For a parallel RLC circuit I was asked to observe voltage across the inductor (coil) at a constant current setting.
I'm assuming the trace to be a peak at resonant frequency. Could someone confirm this & elaborate if possible, please.

I didn't record this & although just a small part of the report I should include it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Roodles01 said:
Having carried outan AC Resonance experiment recently, I find that I have missed a simple step in the procedure- or left it out of my lab book - grrr!

For a parallel RLC circuit I was asked to observe voltage across the inductor (coil) at a constant current setting.
I'm assuming the trace to be a peak at resonant frequency. Could someone confirm this & elaborate if possible, please.

I didn't record this & although just a small part of the report I should include it.

The term "constant current" implies a DC condition, not an AC resonant condition. Could you please clarify?

I think I know that the poster means that the AC current does not change. Constant current does not have to mean it is DC.
They have said that there is a peak at the resonant frequency this sounds like a 100% AC question.

Constant current setting probably refers to the combination of the position of the output dial on the power supply and the operating mode of the power supply.

I expect the circuit consists of a load that is a parallel RLC circuit driven by a current source of constant amplitude and variable frequency. The voltage across the load will thus be a maximum when the impedance of the load is a xxxxxx . This xxxxxx occurs when .....

Yes, the current is A.C & is set to an output which does not change & the frequency is swept over a range.

RLC circuit.jpeg

We have done more or less the same thing but for a series circuit. In that case the voltage was kept constant (it was shown on a multimeter) and we observed the AC voltage across the series resistor using an oscilloscope. Resonance could be obtained quite easil by changing the frequency.

Roodles, do you have some data from your experiment? Do you have values for the components and settings on the signal generator?

[ a scan of your lab-book would work too ]

1. What is an AC resonance experiment?

An AC resonance experiment is a laboratory procedure used to study the behavior of electrical circuits when connected to an alternating current (AC) power source. This experiment typically involves a series or parallel LC circuit, where L represents an inductor and C represents a capacitor.

2. How does an AC resonance experiment work?

In an AC resonance experiment, the circuit is excited with an AC power source at varying frequencies. As the frequency of the AC source approaches the natural frequency of the circuit, the current and voltage in the circuit will reach maximum values. This is known as resonance, and it can be observed by measuring the amplitude and phase of the current and voltage.

3. What is the purpose of an AC resonance experiment?

The main purpose of an AC resonance experiment is to study the properties and behavior of resonance in an electrical circuit. This can help scientists and engineers understand the behavior of circuits in practical applications, such as in electronic devices and power systems.

4. What is a missed step in the procedure of an AC resonance experiment?

A missed step in the procedure of an AC resonance experiment could refer to any step that was not properly followed or completed. This could include setting up the equipment incorrectly, using the wrong components, or not following the correct steps for data collection and analysis.

5. What should I do if I encounter a missed step in the procedure of an AC resonance experiment?

If you encounter a missed step in the procedure of an AC resonance experiment, it is important to go back and carefully review the instructions to ensure that you are following the correct procedure. If you are unable to identify and correct the missed step, consult with your lab instructor or a colleague for assistance.

Suggested for: AC Resonance Experiment: Missed Step in Procedure!

Back