Academic Advising for MD: Get 34 on ACT, GPA 3.9/4

  • Thread starter Thread starter rqureshi24
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Academic
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 3K views
rqureshi24
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Hello,

I want to be a doctor but I want to go into a straight program (one that doesn't require a MCAT). My GPA is around 3.9 out of 4 and my first ACT was 25 (with no preparation), but I take another one in June where I am going to try to get a 34.

Hypothetically, let's say I get the 34 ACT score, which colleges are the best for me?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you looking to attend an US medical school?

There are a few, I think, who do not require an MCAT score, although I'm sure it would hinder your application a great deal.

A straight program? What?

You won't be special with a 3.9 GPA. We all have those. Just take the MCAT like everyone else. Get a score around 90th percentile, and do a bunch of other crap to make you seem well-rounded and mature. Then you will be an average med school matriculant. Congratulations!
 
USN2ENG said:
I think they might be referring to one of the BS/MD programs. Check out this list:
Yes, that is what i am talking about.

Rear Naked said:
Are you looking to attend an US medical school?

There are a few, I think, who do not require an MCAT score, although I'm sure it would hinder your application a great deal.

A straight program? What?

You won't be special with a 3.9 GPA. We all have those. Just take the MCAT like everyone else. Get a score around 90th percentile, and do a bunch of other crap to make you seem well-rounded and mature. Then you will be an average med school matriculate. Congratulations!
Yes, I am looking to attend in the US.

My weighted GPA is: ~ 4.18
My unweighted GPA: ~ 3.98

My unweighted is a ~3.9 of 4 and I am in 3 sports, NHS, volunteer at church and hospitals, and a couple clubs at school too.

A straight program would be a BS/MD program and I'm not looking to be an average med school matriculate.
 
TCNJ mannnn, my girlfriend's a SMED (seven year med program) so as long as she maintains a 3.5 every semester, she gets into this med school in new jersey that is reputable (can't remember which at the moment, something like UMDNJ). So, good luck with that
 
Rear Naked said:
You won't be special with a 3.9 GPA. We all have those. Just take the MCAT like everyone else. Get a score around 90th percentile, and do a bunch of other crap to make you seem well-rounded and mature. Then you will be an average med school matriculant. Congratulations!
Actually, a 3.9 GPA is pretty damn high, even by medical school standards and a 90th% MCAT is very high, well above the average MCAT of a matriculant.

Premeds drastically overestimate how hardcore what they do really is.
 
Jorriss said:
Actually, a 3.9 GPA is pretty damn high, even by medical school standards

Do we have to get technical? :eek: My point was that nobody will care about a 3.9 with no MCAT. A 3.9GPA and 90th percentile MCAT score will in no way "guaranteee" a slot.
Average is 3.7

Code:
and a 90th% MCAT is very high, well above the average MCAT of a matriculant. 

Premeds drastically overestimate how hardcore what they do really is.

The real average is 80-85th
This is all irrelevant though, since apparently he was talking about his high school GPA.

Good luck OP. Save yourself a year and some stress.
 
Last edited: