• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Academic journals aimed at education/teaching

• Thread starter feynman1
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

is there a list for maths/physics related academic journals aimed at education/teaching

Answers and Replies

Thanks a lot. Physics Education isn't in SCI? PRPER has an IF~2 but is only in SCIE. So will publishing a paper there be easier than normal research journals?

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2019 Award
If you are looking to publish, the usual advice is you should send it to a journal you are already reading.

Likes Dale
but we need to be open to more choices don't we

So will publishing a paper there be easier than normal research journals?
Usually I submit to the more difficult journal first. If I don’t get in then usually the comments from the peer reviewers help improve it enough that getting in the less prestigious journal is easy.

Likes feynman1
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Thanks a lot. Physics Education isn't in SCI? PRPER has an IF~2 but is only in SCIE. So will publishing a paper there be easier than normal research journals?
I don't know what this means. What "metric" are you using to claim that it is "easier"? Is it easier than, say, publishing in Nuclear Instrumentation and Methods journal, which I'm guessing, you consider to be a "normal research journal"? Who can tell?

Zz.

I do the same. Which journal is the best/most highly ranked in math/phys education/teaching?

I don't know what this means. What "metric" are you using to claim that it is "easier"? Is it easier than, say, publishing in Nuclear Instrumentation and Methods journal, which I'm guessing, you consider to be a "normal research journal"? Who can tell?

Zz.
I understand how hard it is to answer this question. To publish in a research journal, one needs to propose some new discoveries to varying degrees. To publish in a teaching journal, reviewers might be more lenient regarding novelty?

but not that cutting edge right

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
but not that cutting edge right
Are you trying to denigrate educational research? If so, try to publish in one, and then come here and tell me it is easy.

Till then, this has been a waste of my time.

Zz.

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2019 Award
but we need to be open to more choices don't we
More choices than journals you are reading?

This thread seems to be that you have something you want to piblish in a physics education journal, because you think it will be easier than in a "regular" journal (whatever that is) because these journals are lower quality. Because they are lower quality, there is no point in your reading them.

If this is accurate, its offensive to researchers in PER and unlikely to succeed in any event. If this is inaccurate, why not spend a paragraph explaining what exactly you are trying to do.

Of course not belittling educational journals. Have sth to publish about contemplation of the existing framework rather than anything totally new. Sometimes studies on daily life phenomena can't fit in research journals but might be of interest to edu journals.