Academic Success After Community College?

In summary, the person started at a community college and then transferred to a regular university. They feel better after reading the replies and will try to skip the derivations over the next couple weeks.
erok81
Well I am finally finishing my time at a community college majoring in physics. I've completed the calculus series as well as physics I and II. I begin fall semester at a regular university.

How many of you started at a community college and then had success with the rest of your university education?

The reason I ask is after reading some threads here, I am getting worried I'll have to start over as I haven't learned much during my CC education. For example - my physics prof always skipped derivations and I was stupid enough to think memorizing the formulas was a lot easier and did that...since the importance of deriving this stuff didn't seem important during class. Another example was in my calc III class we did Green's Theorem where only a formula was presented. I did some research so I knew what we were using it for, but in no way do I see (or could derive) the formula we used.

So anyway, do you get a chance later to see how things are derived? I think the math will start to make more sense once I actually start using it in the applied classes, but the derivations have me worried.

What do you guys think?

Physics news on Phys.org
I started at a CC. I was a chemistry major at the time though. I found the preparation to be excellent, in fact I was better versed in organic chem than a lot of the students at the university I transferred to.

But not all CCs are equal, some are great and some are abysmal. If I were you, I wouldn't take a super heavy load in the first term you're at a university. Give yourself time to make the adjustment, especially if you suspect you may have holes in your preparation.

Knowing derivations is important, and you'll have time to see them. I seem to recall the junior year as being quite heavy with derivations, in E&M and QM.

I started out at a community college as well and did just fine with the rest of my university education. I also know many other people who went to community college with me and were successful as well.

I agree with lisab's recommendation to take a lighter load your first semester as you adjust to a new school. If you feel your preparation is inadequate at all, then you can try reading through your physics book again and following the derivations you skipped in there. There are some formulas introduced in physics 1 and 2 that are usually just given and not derived until more advanced courses. I would say if you can understand the derivations in your textbook, then you should be fine.

Perfect, that makes me feel a lot better. Thanks for the replies.

Maybe over the next couple weeks I don't have class between semesters I will go through some of the derivations.

I understand your concerns about starting at a community college and transitioning to a university. However, I want to assure you that your experience at a community college can still lead to academic success at a university.

First, it is important to remember that community colleges offer a solid foundation in math and science courses. You have completed the calculus series and physics I and II, which are essential for any physics major. This means you are already well-prepared for the more advanced courses you will encounter at a university.

Additionally, while it may seem like your community college courses were focused on memorization rather than understanding, this is a common approach in introductory classes. The emphasis is often on learning the fundamentals and building a strong foundation, rather than delving into complex derivations. However, as you progress in your education, you will have the opportunity to revisit these concepts and see how they are derived and applied in more advanced courses.

Moreover, it is important to recognize that academic success is not solely dependent on your coursework. Your critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and work ethic are just as important, if not more so. These are skills that can be developed and honed at any level of education, and your time at a community college has likely helped you in these areas.

In summary, starting at a community college does not hinder your chances of academic success at a university. With a strong foundation in math and science, and the opportunity to further your understanding in more advanced courses, you are well-equipped to excel in your future studies. Keep an open mind, continue to work hard, and seek help when needed, and you will see the fruits of your labor in the form of academic success.

1. What are some factors that contribute to academic success after community college?

There are several factors that can contribute to academic success after community college. These include having a clear goal or plan, setting realistic and achievable goals, utilizing resources such as tutoring or academic advising, maintaining good time management skills, and actively participating in class and studying regularly.

2. Is it important to have a specific major or career path in mind before transferring from community college to a four-year university?

It is not necessary to have a specific major or career path in mind before transferring to a four-year university. However, having some idea of what you are interested in studying can help you choose appropriate courses and make a smoother transition to a new school.

3. How can networking and building connections help with academic success after community college?

Networking and building connections can be extremely beneficial for academic success after community college. These connections can provide access to resources, mentorship, internship opportunities, and potential job opportunities. They can also offer support and guidance throughout your academic journey.

4. Is it better to take a break before transferring to a four-year university or to transfer immediately after community college?

This ultimately depends on the individual and their personal circumstances. Some students may benefit from taking a break to work, save money, or gain experience before transferring to a four-year university. Others may prefer to transfer immediately and continue their education without interruption. It is important to consider your own needs and priorities before making a decision.

5. How can I balance work and school while pursuing academic success after community college?

Balancing work and school can be challenging, but it is possible with good time management and organization skills. Some tips for balancing both include creating a schedule, prioritizing tasks, communicating with your employer about your academic commitments, and seeking support from family and friends. It is also important to make time for self-care and to not overcommit yourself.