Accel of Crate Pushed at 30° Below Horizon

  • Thread starter Thread starter jwxie
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Force Horizon
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
jwxie
Messages
278
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Find the acceleration of the crate when it is pushed by the same force at an angle of 30 degree below the horizon.

Given mass = 2.0kg Applied Force = 10 N, and uk = 0.047

Homework Equations



Fx/y = ma = sum of all force vectors
Fk = ukN

The Attempt at a Solution



So I did a free body diagram. Here is my attempt

<Fx = ma
<Fy = 0

Fx = ma = Fcos(-30) * Fk
Fy = 0 = Fsin(-30)+N-mg

Is that it? Anything tricky?

I just want to make sure all my setups are correct.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
That's right, but to prevent confusing yourself, you might want to express everything in terms of magnitudes. So ma=Fcos(30)*Fk: the magnitude of ma is equal to the magnitude of Fcos(-30)*Fk. N=mg+Fsin(30), because the ground pushes up against both gravity and the y component of the force F. I find that this approach is much more intuitive than using Fcos(-30) and Fsin(-30).

EDIT: Oops, that's not right. You forgot to account for the contribution of gravity to the normal force.
 
jwxie said:

Homework Statement



Find the acceleration of the crate when it is pushed by the same force at an angle of 30 degree below the horizon.

Given mass = 2.0kg Applied Force = 10 N, and uk = 0.047

Homework Equations



Fx/y = ma = sum of all force vectors
Fk = ukN


The Attempt at a Solution



So I did a free body diagram. Here is my attempt

<Fx = ma
<Fy = 0

Fx = ma = Fcos(-30) * Fk
Fy = 0 = Fsin(-30)+N-mg

Is that it? Anything tricky?

I just want to make sure all my setups are correct.
Why are you multiplying the x-component of the applied force by the force of friction?

ideasrule said:
EDIT: Oops, that's not right. You forgot to account for the contribution of gravity to the normal force.
jwxie said:
Fy = 0 = Fsin(-30)+N-mg
didn't he do that here?
 
yeah that was a typo. it was suppose to be minus
Fx = F - Fk
and Fk also has x, y components, which is along the x axis
 
Last edited:
jwxie said:
yeah that was a typo. it was suppose to be minus
Fx = F - Fk
and Fk also has x, y components, which is along the x axis

Looks good to me. Just make sure you keep your signs straight -- I'd write F + Fk with Fk being a negative vector to denote direction. I do, however, believe you meant the right thing.
 
xcvxcvvc said:
Looks good to me. Just make sure you keep your signs straight -- I'd write F + Fk with Fk being a negative vector to denote direction. I do, however, believe you meant the right thing.

Hi, thanks for your reply.

I am sorry, but why is it F + Fk?

My thought would be that Fk is moving in the opposite direction of Fx.

Or you meant let Fk = -(uk*N)
So in general, the vector sum F + Fk