1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Accelerating an electron from speed u1 to u2

1. Mar 8, 2017 #1
    • HW Template missing as it was moved from another forum
    Hi!

I am trying to find the time for an electron to accelerate in a uniform electric field from u1 to u2.

In the text book, I found that time is found by integrating d(u/(1-u^2/c^2)^(1/2))=(qE/m_0)⋅dt
    and they get u/(1-u^2/c^2)^(1/2) = qEt/m_0 by integrating from t=0 and u=0 to t=t and u=u
    I don't quite get the left hand side of the equation, what is it integrating with respect to? what if the particle starts at t=0 and u=u1 and end at t=t1 and u=u2?

Thanks a lot

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2017 #2

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I've suggested that this is moved to the homework forum.

The assumption here is that the three-force of the electric field is constant. How is the three force defined?

I assume you are trying to calculate time, in terms of the coordinate time in the IRF in which the electron accelerates from ##u_1## to ##u_2##.

4. Mar 19, 2017 #3
    Thank you for the reply! Yes I am trying to calculate how energy and velocity change wrt time. I am actually following the reasoning of a book, and I cannot quite understand how it gets from eq 2.26 to 2.27. Isn't u a function of time too? why after the integration the left hand side stays the same? Thank you a lot!
    IMG_2692.JPG
    Alan

Attached Files:

5. Mar 20, 2017 #4

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The left-hand side doesn't stay the same - it loses the time derivative. The integral of the derivative of a function is the function.

6. Mar 20, 2017 #5
    Thank you a lot. That makes sense.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted