Acceleration 1-N force to 1-kg object

In summary, the question asks what acceleration a 1-N force can give to a 1-kg object. Using Newton's 2nd Law, the formula F=ma can be used to solve for acceleration. However, the student initially made a mistake by using the incorrect units for mass and force. The correct answer is 1 m/s^2, not 9.80 m/s^2. Another student also asked a similar question, but with different units, and the same formula can be used to solve it.
DubKing

Homework Statement

What acceleration can a 1-N force give to a 1-kg object?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

No clue how to attempt it. I'm an 8th grade science student. you need at least .1021 to move the object

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Assuming the 1 N force is a net force applied to the 1 kg mass, you need to use Newton's 2nd Law to find the acceleration. Do you know it?

Is it F=ma?

would that mean I need f/m=a to solve?

DubKing said:
would that mean I need f/m=a to solve?
Yes, good job!

Is the acceleration 9.80? 1/.102=9.80 m/sec/sec?

Thank you for your help

DubKing said:
Is the acceleration 9.80? 1/.102=9.80 m/sec/sec?
No, check out your algebra and basic knowledge of Physics. If a=f/m, and f=1 N and m= 1 kg, then a =? I think you're confusing mass with weight. They are not the same.

i have some question like this can u try to help me too..

if the mass is 1g and the force is 1dyn what is the acceleration..pls give me 1 example..tnx

This is a somewhat old thread, it would normally be best to make a new one with your problem. That said, you have the exact same problem as the OP had, just that you're using different units. Remember 1 dyn= 1 g cm/s^2.

What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

How is acceleration measured?

Acceleration is typically measured in meters per second squared (m/s²) or feet per second squared (ft/s²).

What is the relationship between acceleration, force, and mass?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that the greater the force and the smaller the mass, the greater the acceleration will be.

What is the formula for calculating acceleration?

The formula for calculating acceleration is acceleration = force/mass, or a = F/m. This can also be written as a = Δv/Δt, where Δv represents the change in velocity and Δt represents the change in time.

How does gravity affect acceleration?

Gravity is a force that accelerates objects towards the center of the Earth at a rate of 9.8 m/s². This means that all objects, regardless of their mass, will accelerate towards the ground at the same rate due to gravity.