Acceleration/distance/time problem

• Thread starter Rylynn97
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about an investigatory project testing the efficiency of water cress in cleaning wastewater using the concept of the Green Roof Water Recycling system. The question is regarding the equation for determining the time it takes for an object to fall 4m with an acceleration of 9.8 m/s^2. The equation used is s = ut + 1/2 at^2 and the estimated time is around 0.9 seconds.
Rylynn97
For our investigatory project, I and my groupmates are going to test the efficiency of water cress in cleaning wastewater. We're going to adapt the concept of the Green Roof Water Recycling system, where the wastewater from kitchen and bathroom sinks gets pumped up to the roof and gets trickled onto some semi-aquatic plants. Gravity brings the water back down for reuse. Anyway, I thought I might figure out how long I should put the water cress in the wastewater using the acceleration of gravity (9.8 m/s2) and the length/distance of the original GROW set-up, which is 4m. The question is, what's the equation going to be? Something similar to, um, the time equation involving speed (t = d/s)?

I really hope someone can answer these questions for me... thank you! ^___^

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not too sure what exactly you are asking? What is your aim? ie You say you need the right length, but right length for what?

I'm sorry. I meant what's the time, given that the acceleration is 9.8 m/s2 and the distance is 4m? :)

The question you are asking is: How long will an object take to fall 4m, with acceleration at 9.8 m/s^2?

We use a handy equation here: [tex] s = ut + \frac{1}{2} at^2[/tex] where s is the displacement, u in the initial velocity, a is acceleration and t is time. We know s=4, u is 0 since when it starts falling its originally not moving. So the equation then becomes
[tex]4 = \frac{1}{2}(9.8)t^2[/tex].

Times both sides by 2, then divide both by 9.8.
[tex]\frac{8}{9.8} = t^2[/tex].

Now just square root the stuff on the left hand side and that's how long it takes :) My estimate is about 0.9 seconds, but I have no calculator.

1. What is the formula for solving acceleration/distance/time problems?

The formula for solving acceleration/distance/time problems is acceleration (a) = change in velocity (Δv) / time (Δt). This formula is also known as the average acceleration formula.

2. How do I calculate acceleration given distance and time?

To calculate acceleration given distance and time, you will need to use the formula a = (vf - vi) / t, where vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time. Make sure to use consistent units for distance and time (e.g. meters and seconds).

3. What does a negative acceleration mean in a distance/time problem?

A negative acceleration in a distance/time problem means that the object is slowing down. This could be due to factors such as friction or air resistance acting against the object's motion.

4. Can acceleration/distance/time problems be solved using the graphical method?

Yes, acceleration/distance/time problems can also be solved using the graphical method. This involves plotting the data points on a graph and using the slope of the line to determine the acceleration.

5. What are some real-life examples of acceleration/distance/time problems?

Some real-life examples of acceleration/distance/time problems include calculating the acceleration of a car during a race, determining the distance a ball travels after being kicked, or finding the time it takes for an object to fall from a certain height under the influence of gravity.