Acceleration Due to Gravity Problem HELP

I'm not sure what you did wrong, but I got a value of 0.0026 m/s^2 which is the accepted value for the gravity on Titania.In summary, the problem is to find the acceleration due to gravity at the surface of Titania, given that it has 1/8 the radius and 1/1700 the mass of Earth. The equation used is g= GMe/Re^2 and a value of 0.0026 m/s^2 was obtained, which is the accepted value for gravity on Titania.
envoystud
Acceleration Due to Gravity Problem **HELP**

Homework Statement

Titania, the largest moon of the planet Uranus, has 1/8 the radius of the Earth and 1/1700 the mass of the earth...

What is the acceleration due to gravity at the surface of Titania? (m/s^2)

Homework Equations

g= GMe/Re^2

(Me) mass of planet
(Re) radius of planet

The Attempt at a Solution

well, i thought this was the right way of doing the problem, but i get a totally wrong answer and i am totally confussed on if this is the right equation for this problem or not.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
envoystud said:

The Attempt at a Solution

You left this part out.

ok i fixed it

please show what you tried [even if it is wrong]

This is definitely the right equation.

Last edited:

What is acceleration due to gravity and how is it calculated?

Acceleration due to gravity, denoted as g, is the acceleration experienced by objects due to the gravitational force of the Earth. It is calculated using the formula g = GM/r^2, where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the Earth, and r is the distance between the object and the center of the Earth.

What factors affect the acceleration due to gravity?

The acceleration due to gravity is affected by the mass and distance of the object from the Earth. As the mass of the object increases, the acceleration due to gravity also increases. On the other hand, as the distance between the object and the Earth's center increases, the acceleration due to gravity decreases.

How does the acceleration due to gravity vary on different planets?

The acceleration due to gravity varies on different planets depending on their mass and size. For example, the acceleration due to gravity on the Moon is about 1/6th of the Earth's, while on Jupiter it is about 2.5 times the Earth's. This is because the mass and size of the planets are different.

What is the difference between acceleration due to gravity and gravitational force?

Acceleration due to gravity is the acceleration an object experiences due to the gravitational force of the Earth, while gravitational force is the force of attraction between two objects with mass. The acceleration due to gravity depends on the mass and distance of the object from the Earth, while the gravitational force depends on the mass of the two objects and the distance between them.

How is acceleration due to gravity related to free fall?

Acceleration due to gravity is the acceleration an object experiences when it is in free fall, which means there is no air resistance or other forces acting on the object. In free fall, the acceleration due to gravity is constant, and all objects, regardless of their mass, will fall with the same acceleration.