Acceleration in respect to power, and a KE/momentum problem.

In summary, the car's acceleration at t=2t_0 is actually 1/(sqrt2)a_0, which is due to rotation friction.
blackwing1
I was doing the IPhO F=ma test from 2008 and couldn't get these two questions.

Question 1

Homework Statement

A car has an engine which delivers a constant power. It accelerates from rest at time t = 0, and at t = t_0 its acceleration is a_0. What is its acceleration at t =2t_0? Ignore energy loss due to friction.

Homework Equations

Any non-calculus based equations.

The Attempt at a Solution

I reasoned that since the power was constant, then the work done on the wheels would also be constant as power = work/time. Then, since work = fd, the force would be constant and thus the acceleration would be constant. However, when I checked the answer, it said that the acceleration should actually be 1/(sqrt2)a_0 at that point. Is this due to rotation friction or something?

Question 2

Homework Statement

Consider a particle at rest which may decay into two daughter particles or into three daughter particles. Which of the following is true in the two body case but false in the three body case. (No external forces)

a. The velocity vectors of the daughter particles must lie in a single plane
b. Given the total kinetic energy of the system and the mass of each daughter particle, it is possible to determine the speed of each daughter particle.
c. Given the speeds of all but one daughter particle, it is possible to determine the speed of the remaining particle.
d. The total momentum of the daughter particles is zero.
e. None of the above.

Homework Equations

Any non-calculus based equations

(The answer was b. I chose a.)
I first took out D because that would be true in both cases.
I then took out C because I think the mass is needed to solve that scenario, so it would work for neither case.
I initially took out B too, but in retrospect, I realized it works in the first case because you can solve it with conservation of momentum and conservation of KE (2 equations for 2 variables) but not the second case (2 equations for 3 variables.)
I am, however, still confused why a. doesn't work. When there's two rays originating from a single point, don't they have to be in a single plane?

Thanks for the help :D

Physics news on Phys.org
blackwing1 said:
I was doing the IPhO F=ma test from 2008 and couldn't get these two questions.

Question 1

Homework Statement

A car has an engine which delivers a constant power. It accelerates from rest at time t = 0, and at t = t_0 its acceleration is a_0. What is its acceleration at t =2t_0? Ignore energy loss due to friction.

Homework Equations

Any non-calculus based equations.

I reasoned that since the power was constant, then the work done on the wheels would also be constant as power = work/time. Then, since work = fd, the force would be constant and thus the acceleration would be constant. However, when I checked the answer, it said that the acceleration should actually be 1/(sqrt2)a_0 at that point. Is this due to rotation friction or something?

Taking one question at a time...

What equations do you know concerning power and energy? How about power, force, and velocity? Kinetic energy and velocity? Acceleration and force? Listing the equations that you know may give you some ideas.

Assuming that NO energy is lost to any sort of friction, what's the expected kinetic energy of the car with respect to time? What can you then say about its velocity with respect to time?

Thanks for the help. I figured them out. Kind of surprised I hadn't seen the answers sooner. Pretty obvious in hindsight.
:biggrin:

1. What is acceleration in respect to power?

Acceleration in respect to power refers to the relationship between an object's acceleration and the amount of power required to achieve that acceleration. In simple terms, power is the rate at which work is done, and acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes. The more power that is applied to an object, the greater its acceleration will be.

2. How is acceleration related to kinetic energy (KE)?

Acceleration is not directly related to kinetic energy. Kinetic energy is a measure of an object's motion, while acceleration is a measure of how quickly an object's motion is changing. However, acceleration can indirectly affect an object's kinetic energy by changing its speed or direction of motion.

3. What is the relationship between acceleration and momentum?

Acceleration and momentum are directly related through Newton's second law of motion, which states that an object's acceleration is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object, and inversely proportional to its mass. Momentum, on the other hand, is directly proportional to an object's velocity and mass. Therefore, a change in an object's acceleration will also result in a change in its momentum.

4. How can I calculate the acceleration of an object?

The acceleration of an object can be calculated by dividing the net force acting on the object by its mass, using the formula a = F/m. Additionally, if the object's initial velocity, final velocity, and time are known, the acceleration can be calculated using the formula a = (vf - vi) / t.

5. What is the difference between average acceleration and instantaneous acceleration?

Average acceleration is the change in an object's velocity over a period of time, while instantaneous acceleration is the acceleration at a specific moment in time. Average acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the time interval, while instantaneous acceleration is calculated by taking the limit of the average acceleration as the time interval approaches zero.