Acceleration in water using a water jet

In summary, the necessary factors to determine the force or thrust of a jet motor on a marine craft include the rate of water expulsion, wattage or horsepower of the motor, and propeller efficiency. The thrust can be calculated using the momentum change of the water over time, while the shaft power is related to the kinetic energy change of the water and propeller efficiency.
Aeronautician
Hi, everyone. I'm working on a personal project and I need some insight from the intelligent minds here. I'm trying to calculate the thrust that a jet motor on a marine craft needs to exert in order to accelerate the craft in a certain direction. What are the necessary factors to determine the force or thrust that the motor needs to accelerate, let's say, 1 kg in the water? My dilemma comes from the nature of the source of acceleration, the motor, utilizing water jet propulsion. The motor has to suck in water and expel it at a high rate which causes acceleration according to Newton's laws. Is the rate of expulsion of water the value that determines how much thrust is attained? Now, this rate of water output, can it be related to the wattage or horsepower of the motor? All in all, I believe my question is this, how is the power of the motor related to the rate of water which it expels? I tried to find solution inspiration from an aircraft jet engine but it eluded me unfortunately. Can you guys guys point me in the right direction? Thanks for any help.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Aeronautician said:
Hi, everyone. I'm working on a personal project and I need some insight from the intelligent minds here. I'm trying to calculate the thrust that a jet motor on a marine craft needs to exert in order to accelerate the craft in a certain direction. What are the necessary factors to determine the force or thrust that the motor needs to accelerate, let's say, 1 kg in the water? My dilemma comes from the nature of the source of acceleration, the motor, utilizing water jet propulsion. The motor has to suck in water and expel it at a high rate which causes acceleration according to Newton's laws. Is the rate of expulsion of water the value that determines how much thrust is attained? Now, this rate of water output, can it be related to the wattage or horsepower of the motor? All in all, I believe my question is this, how is the power of the motor related to the rate of water which it expels? I tried to find solution inspiration from an aircraft jet engine but it eluded me unfortunately. Can you guys guys point me in the right direction? Thanks for any help.
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Does this introductory article help?

http://www.explainthatstuff.com/jetskiseadoo.html

Aeronautician said:
Is the rate of expulsion of water the value that determines how much thrust is attained? Now, this rate of water output, can it be related to the wattage or horsepower of the motor?
The thrust is equal to the momentum change of the water per time. The required shaft power is related to the kinetic energy change of the water per time and propeller efficiency.

1. What is acceleration in water using a water jet?

In simple terms, acceleration in water using a water jet is the increase in the speed of an object as a result of the force exerted by a jet of water.

2. How is acceleration in water using a water jet calculated?

The acceleration in water using a water jet can be calculated using the formula a = F/m, where a is the acceleration, F is the force of the water jet, and m is the mass of the object.

3. What factors affect the acceleration in water using a water jet?

The acceleration in water using a water jet can be affected by several factors including the force of the water jet, the mass of the object, the angle of the water jet, and the density of the water.

4. How does acceleration in water using a water jet differ from acceleration in air?

Acceleration in water using a water jet is generally greater than acceleration in air due to the higher density of water compared to air. Additionally, resistance and drag from surrounding water can also affect the acceleration in water.

5. What are some real-world applications of acceleration in water using a water jet?

Acceleration in water using a water jet is commonly used in marine propulsion systems, such as in boats and ships. It is also used in water sports, such as water skiing and jet skiing, as well as in industrial applications like cutting and cleaning materials.