Calculating Normal and Lift Forces: Elevator and Jet Physics Homework Help

• Thread starter physics007jazer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, Brian weighs 70 kg and is in an elevator accelerating upwards at 2m/2^2. The normal force acting on his body is 750 N and the weight registered on the scale would be more than his actual weight due to the acceleration. For Melanie flying east in her private jet with a lift force of 100,000 N, an initial velocity of 100m/s[E], and acceleration at a constant rate, the time it takes to reach a velocity of 115m/2[E] is unknown. The air resistance is 40,000 N and the thrust is 52,000 N. The scale reading for Brian's weight would be 64 N, which is less than his actual weight,
physics007jazer

Homework Statement

Brian whose mass is approximately 70 kg, is in an elevator accelerating upwards at 2m/2^2. Determine the normal force acting on his body. What weight would the scale register when Brian is going up?

Melanie is flying east in her new private jet at a constant altitude. The lift force on the plane is 100,000 N. The inital velocity of the plane is 100m/s[E], when it begins to accelerate at a constant rate. If the air resistance on the plane is 40,000 N and the thrust is 52,000 N, find the time it takes her plane to reach a velocity of 115m/2[E[?

Homework Equations

fnet=m*a
fg=m*g

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first questions I simply calculated the normal force, which was 750 N. Then I calculate the force of gravity, for which I got 686. Then I subtracted the force of gravity from the normal force (750 N -686 N= 64N, which is 64kg?) Am I going in the right direction?

I do not get the second question at all

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure if you need to subtract gravity for the normal force. However, for what the scale would read, it should be more than he would weigh if he weren't moving.

physics007jazer said:
For the first questions I simply calculated the normal force, which was 750 N. Then I calculate the force of gravity, for which I got 686. Then I subtracted the force of gravity from the normal force (750 N -686 N= 64N, which is 64kg?) Am I going in the right direction?

your conclusion is that man will be lighter but the usual experience in a lift going up is opposite- so think over it.

physics007jazer said:
You have not shown how you calculated the normal force, which is the first question.
Weight is 70kg x 9.8N/kg = 686N well done
N>mg OK
64N < 686N ... so this result says the net force is 10% of his weight pointing up.
64N is not 64kg ...

You should draw a free-body diagram for Brian, then apply Newton's laws.
To see how these normal forces and weights turn into the reading on a scale, have a look at the forces on the scale. How do scales tell you your weight?

Last edited:

1. What are normal and lift forces?

Normal and lift forces are two types of aerodynamic forces that act on an object as it moves through a fluid, such as air. Normal force is the force that is perpendicular to the surface of an object and is responsible for supporting the weight of the object. Lift force, on the other hand, is the force that is perpendicular to the direction of motion and is responsible for keeping the object in the air.

2. How are normal and lift forces calculated?

Normal and lift forces can be calculated using the same equation: F = 1/2 * ρ * V^2 * A * CL, where ρ is the density of the fluid, V is the velocity of the object, A is the surface area of the object, and CL is the coefficient of lift. The main difference between the two forces is the value of the coefficient of lift, which is determined by the shape and angle of the object.

3. How does an elevator use normal and lift forces to move?

An elevator uses normal and lift forces to move by changing the angle of its wings, also known as the elevator control surface. By tilting the wings, the coefficient of lift changes, and the lift force increases or decreases, allowing the elevator to move up or down. The normal force also plays a crucial role in supporting the weight of the elevator and its passengers.

4. How do normal and lift forces differ in jet physics?

In jet physics, normal and lift forces are calculated using the same equation, but they have different functions. Normal force is primarily responsible for keeping the jet in the air, while lift force is used to control the direction and speed of the jet. The jet's wings can be tilted to change the coefficient of lift, allowing the pilot to make turns and maneuvers.

5. How can understanding normal and lift forces help in designing airplanes and jets?

Understanding normal and lift forces is crucial in designing airplanes and jets because these forces are responsible for keeping the aircraft in the air and controlling its movements. By understanding the relationship between these forces and factors such as air density, velocity, and surface area, engineers can design more efficient and stable aircraft that can fly at high speeds and altitudes.