Finding max. velocity of jet w/ constant and/or changing acceleration

In summary, the conversation discusses the evaluation of the relationship between fuel consumption and attainable velocity of a new jet fighter, given a constant force of the jet and varying fuel consumption rate. Three possible situations for the fuel consumption rate are considered and it is assumed that the acceleration period is 10 minutes. The maximum velocity obtained by the jet is determined in terms of the characteristics of the fighter. The discussion also addresses the dilemma of expressing the rate of decrease in fuel consumption, and suggests using F=ma or F=dp/dt equations.
mgsintheta

Homework Statement

You must evaluate the relationship between fuel consumption and the attainable velocity of a new jet fighter. Given that:

Force of jet= A(r(t))4/3
A: constant determined by the fighter model in the class being considered and the drag force on the plane
r(t): the rate of fuel consumption as a function of time

Consider 3 possible situations for r(t):

1. when the rate is constant for the duration of the acceleration period
2. when the rate is steadily decreasing for the duration of the acceleration period
3. when the rate decreases at a decreasing rate as the plane accelerates

For each of these you should assume that the rate is initially 500 ffu (fighter fuel units)/min,
and for each it is reasonable to suppose an acceleration period of 10 minutes.

Determine-in terms of the characteristics of the fighter (m and A)- the maximum velocity obtained by the jet

Homework Equations

F=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

If fjet=A(r(t))4/3,
then the Accelerationjet=[A(r(t))4/3]/m
-make A/m=C, then Accelerationjet=C[r(t)]4/3

Knowing that the integral of an acceleration should be the velocity function:
∫C[r(t)]4/3=C∫[r(t)]4/3→ C[(3/7)r(t)7/3+A]

My problem with the above is that I am not sure what to do about the constant. Does it matter? No initial conditions are given, so I don't believe that I can solve for it. If I was able to, it might be able to help me solve this problem.
Here is my dilemma. I understand that for situation 1, the acceleration is constant, and that I can use the constant-acceleration kinematics equation vf=vo+at. Since the acceleration is constant, the maximum velocity will be attained at the end of the acceleration period: 10C[550]4/3=45062.66988(A/m) However, for situations two and three, I am unsure of how to express the rate at which r(t) is decreasing, in order to be able to come up with a function that will give me the maximum velocity.
I understand that for situations 2 and 3, the maximum velocity will still be obtained at the end of the acceleration period. However, I am unsure of how to represent those answers differently than situation 1, as r(t) is constantly changing. I know that the graph of the acceleration vs. time graph for situation 2 is a straight diagonal line going down from left to right, and the graph for situation 3 is a concave up graph decreasing from left to right. Do I need to make an assumption about the rate of decrease for each of these situations? As in come up with a function to represent r(t) through the acceleration period? Or is there a way to come up with the maximum velocity concretely? I don't want the answer obviously, just some guidance to steer me towards that "aha" moment. Thanks for the assistance.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the fuel is consumed whether the mass of the jet remains constant ?

In the case when mass changes (because of fuel), F=ma no longer helps. Try F=dP/dt

what exactly is P?

mgsintheta said:
what exactly is P?
In F = dp/dt, p stands for momentum. But I disagree with davidchen9568. You can still use F=ma, provided you bear in mind that m is variable. Indeed, F = dp/dt can lead you astray when the mass is varying.

Can someone work the whole problem out. Still a little confused.

Noah Drakes said:
Can someone work the whole problem out. Still a little confused.
This is a very old thread (2013). The Original Poster was last logged on in 2015. It is unlikely that the OP will be back to engage in the thread.

I suggest that you start your own new thread and show the work you have done so far.

1. What is the formula for finding the maximum velocity of a jet with constant acceleration?

The formula for finding the maximum velocity of a jet with constant acceleration is V = V0 + at, where V is the final velocity, V0 is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

2. How do you calculate the maximum velocity of a jet with changing acceleration?

To calculate the maximum velocity of a jet with changing acceleration, you can use the equation V = ∫a(t)dt, where V is the final velocity, a(t) is the function of acceleration over time, and ∫ denotes integration.

3. Can the maximum velocity of a jet be negative?

Yes, the maximum velocity of a jet can be negative. This would indicate that the jet is slowing down or moving in the opposite direction.

4. How does air resistance affect the maximum velocity of a jet?

Air resistance, also known as drag, can decrease the maximum velocity of a jet by opposing its motion and slowing it down. The amount of air resistance depends on factors such as the shape and size of the jet, as well as the density of the air and the speed of the jet.

5. What are some real-life applications of finding the maximum velocity of a jet?

One real-life application of finding the maximum velocity of a jet is in the design and testing of aircraft. Engineers can use this calculation to determine the maximum speed that a jet can reach, and make adjustments to improve its performance. This calculation is also useful in understanding the motion of objects in space, such as satellites and rockets.