Acceleration of an object rollling down a incline.

This will help you to find the linear acceleration of the center of mass, which turns out to be 2/3 times the acceleration due to gravity multiplied by the sine of the incline angle.In summary, the problem involves a cylinder rolling down an inclined plane without slipping. To determine the acceleration of the cylinder's center of mass, the formula ∑τ=Iα is used, along with the parallel-axis theorem and the equation a=Rα. The resulting formula is Rg sinΘ=3/2Ra, which simplifies to a=2/3g sinΘ. The use of the parallel-axis theorem is necessary to account for the fact that the point of contact acts as the axis of rotation for the center
jwu

Homework Statement

A cylinder of mass M and radius R rolls(without slipping) down an inclined plane whose incline angle with the horizontal is Θ. Determine the acceleration of the cylinder's venter of mass.(Derive the formula)

Homework Equations

I have the answer, but I just don't understand:

∑τ=Iα, use the parallel-axis theorem and a=Rα.
(Mg sin Θ)R=(1/2MR²+MR²)(a/R)
Rg sin Θ=3/2Ra
a=2/3g sinΘ

The Attempt at a Solution

Here's my question. Why do we need to use the parallel-axis theorem? isn't that the torque is just 1/2MR² ? Maybe I am confused with the concept of Torque. I don't know...Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
When the cylinder is rolling without slipping, the relative motion of point of contact is zero.
So it acts as the axis of rotation of the center of mass. That is why you have to find the moment of inertia about this axis by using parallel-axis theorem.

What is the equation for calculating the acceleration of an object rolling down an incline?

The equation for calculating the acceleration of an object rolling down an incline is a = gsinθ, where g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²) and θ is the angle of the incline.

Does the mass of the object affect its acceleration?

Yes, the mass of the object does affect its acceleration. Heavier objects will have a greater force of gravity acting on them, resulting in a larger acceleration down the incline compared to lighter objects.

What is the relationship between the incline angle and the acceleration of the object?

The relationship between the incline angle and the acceleration of the object is a direct one. As the incline angle increases, the acceleration of the object also increases.

How does friction affect the acceleration of an object rolling down an incline?

Friction acting against the motion of the object will decrease its acceleration down the incline. This is because some of the force that would contribute to the object's acceleration is being used to overcome the force of friction.

Is the acceleration of the object constant down the incline?

No, the acceleration of the object is not constant down the incline. It will vary depending on the incline angle, mass of the object, and the presence of friction. However, in the absence of friction, the acceleration will be constant and equal to the acceleration due to gravity.