Rolling Down an Off Center Cylinder on an Incline

In summary, the cylinder starts to roll down at the angle ##\alpha=\beta/2## where the slope of the incline is maximal.
Silviu

Homework Statement

A cylinder of radius a and mass m contains a point mass, also of mass m, located a distance ##a/2## from the symmetry axis. The cylinder is placed on an incline, which is initially horizontal, but is very slowly raised. Assuming the cylinder cannot slide on the incline, at what inclination angle ##\alpha## does the cylinder begin to roll down?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to write the torque around the contact point, with ##\theta## being the angle where the point mass is located, from the line connecting the contact point with the center of the cylinder. I have this: $$\tau = mg(a-a/2 cos(\theta))sin(\alpha)+mga sin(\alpha)=mga(2- cos(\theta)/2)sin(\alpha)$$ But i don't know what condition to put. I know I have to use the no slipping, which would be $$x=\theta a$$ where x is the distance along the plane, but I am not sure what equation involving x should I use.

Physics news on Phys.org
Silviu said:

Homework Statement

A cylinder of radius a and mass m contains a point mass, also of mass m, located a distance ##a/2## from the symmetry axis. The cylinder is placed on an incline, which is initially horizontal, but is very slowly raised. Assuming the cylinder cannot slide on the incline, at what inclination angle ##\alpha## does the cylinder begin to roll down?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to write the torque around the contact point, with ##\theta## being the angle where the point mass is located, from the line connecting the contact point with the center of the cylinder. I have this: $$\tau = mg(a-a/2 cos(\theta))sin(\alpha)+mga sin(\alpha)=mga(2- cos(\theta)/2)sin(\alpha)$$ But i don't know what condition to put. I know I have to use the no slipping, which would be $$x=\theta a$$ where x is the distance along the plane, but I am not sure what equation involving x should I use.
I think that if you draw the correct diagram and write the related equation, the problem will almost solve itself. First draw the cylinder on an inclined plane. Show the point mass at distance ##a/2## from the axis of symmetry. Show the radius connecting the axis of symmetry and point mass, and the angle ##\beta## between that line and the vertical. Write the equation for the net torque about the point of contact in terms of ##\alpha## and ##\beta##. Now, in terms of angle ##\beta##, what is the condition which causes the cylinder to start rolling? Please show us your diagram and your equations.

Silviu said:
$$\tau = mg(a-a/2 cos(\theta))sin(\alpha)+mga sin(\alpha)=mga(2- cos(\theta)/2)sin(\alpha)$$
Since you want a net torque of zero, you can easily turn that into a relationship between the two angles and find the value of θ which maximises α. However, I do not think your equation is correct. Please explain how you arrive at it.

It might be easier to think in terms of the common mass centre. At equilibrium, where must that be in relation to the contact point?
As the slope increases, what happens to the horizontal displacement from the cylinder's centre to the common mass centre?

1. How does the angle of the incline affect the speed of the cylinder?

The angle of the incline affects the speed of the cylinder because it determines the force of gravity acting on the cylinder. The steeper the incline, the greater the force of gravity and the faster the cylinder will roll down the incline.

2. What factors can cause the cylinder to roll off center?

The cylinder can roll off center due to unevenness in the surface of the incline, imperfections in the cylinder itself, or external forces such as wind or bumps in the surface.

3. How does the mass of the cylinder affect its motion down the incline?

The mass of the cylinder affects its motion down the incline because it determines the amount of force needed to accelerate the cylinder. A heavier cylinder will require more force to accelerate and thus may roll slower than a lighter cylinder.

4. What is the relationship between the radius of the cylinder and its speed down the incline?

The radius of the cylinder and its speed down the incline are indirectly proportional. This means that as the radius of the cylinder increases, the speed at which it rolls down the incline decreases. This is because a larger radius results in a larger moment of inertia, making it more difficult to accelerate.

5. How does friction affect the motion of the cylinder down the incline?

Friction can both hinder and aid the motion of the cylinder down the incline. Without any friction, the cylinder would continue to accelerate indefinitely. However, friction can also cause the cylinder to slow down or even stop if it is strong enough. The amount of friction depends on the surface of the incline and the material of the cylinder.