Acceleration of Center of Mass

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a model of two slender rods connected with a pin and a horizontal slider. The goal is to show different variables in Matlab as the angle theta changes. One of the steps is to show the acceleration of the center of mass of one of the rods, which has a constant angular velocity in the clockwise direction. There is confusion about the meaning of some variables and a diagram is requested for clarification. The conversation also notes that the given equation for linear acceleration may be incorrect. The concept of acceleration for objects moving in a circular motion is also mentioned.
Ian Blankenship
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Template is shown
I have a model of two slender rods (call them OA and AB) connected with a pin at A, anchored at O with a pin, and attached to horizontal slider at B. I am supposed to show graphs of different variables in Matlab as the angle theta changes. One of these steps is to show the acceleration of the center of mass of link OA. It is given that link OA has a constant angular velocity 'omega' in the CW direction. Dumb question, but if the rod has constant angular velocity, would a point half way down this link (center of mass) also have zero acceleration? (Note, I am asked to find linear acceleration, i.e. a=alpha/r)

Likes Lakshit
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you draw a diagram or something? It's not clear what theta is, and what a horizontal slider is, and what alpha is.

Likes Lakshit
Apologies, here is an image of the problem.
dynamicsdiagram.PNG

This is the same image as what is used in my problem, except that T direction (torque I assume) is placed on this diagram.

This should be in the homework forum.

Ian Blankenship said:
Note, I am asked to find linear acceleration, i.e. a=alpha/r
Note: this looks utterly wrong, dimensionally. Unless you tell us that alpha is the acceleration and a the angular acceleration. That's what 's so useful about the template in the homework fora: people can understand what you type if you explain the variable names.

And: something that moves in a circle does not have zero acceleration (Newton 1).

1. What is the definition of "acceleration of center of mass"?

The acceleration of center of mass is a measure of how quickly the center of mass of an object is changing its velocity over time. It is a vector quantity that takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the change in velocity of the center of mass.

2. How is the acceleration of center of mass calculated?

The acceleration of center of mass is calculated by dividing the net force acting on an object by its mass. This is represented by the equation a = F/m, where a is the acceleration, F is the net force, and m is the mass of the object.

3. Why is the acceleration of center of mass important in physics?

The acceleration of center of mass is important because it allows us to understand the motion of a system as a whole, rather than focusing on individual objects within the system. It is also a key factor in determining the overall momentum and energy of a system.

4. How does the acceleration of center of mass differ from the acceleration of individual objects?

The acceleration of center of mass takes into account the combined motion of all the objects in a system, while the acceleration of individual objects only considers the motion of that specific object. The acceleration of center of mass may also be affected by external forces acting on the system as a whole.

5. Can the acceleration of center of mass be negative?

Yes, the acceleration of center of mass can be negative. This indicates that the center of mass is slowing down or changing direction in a negative direction. For example, if a car is slowing down while moving in the positive direction, the acceleration of center of mass would be negative.