Acceleration of gravity on an unknown planet.

In summary, the conversation is about finding the acceleration of gravity on an unknown planet, using the formula G = (gm)/r^2. The person is confused about the distance from the planet's center and the weight of the man on the planet's surface, but is reminded that the weight can be used to find the value of "g" on the planet.
flysae

Homework Statement

A 92 kg man weighs 189 Newtons on the surface of an unknown planet. What ist he acceleration of gravity on this planet?

Basically, I thought the formula to finding the gravitational force was
G(gm)/r^2, but I'm missing the distance that the man from the planets center is. I don't know where the 189 Newtons fit in.

Homework Equations

G = (gm)/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

G = (gm)/r^2
G = (6.67x10^-11nm^2/kg^2)(92kg)/r? What is R? I'm totally lost.

Thank you, appreciate it!

Physics news on Phys.org
It's simpler than all that. If you knew the value of "g" on the planet, how would you find the weight?

I would like to first clarify that the formula you mentioned, G = (gm)/r^2, is actually the formula for calculating the gravitational force between two objects. The force of gravity is given by the equation F = ma, where F is the force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration due to gravity.

In this scenario, we are given the mass of the man (m = 92 kg) and the force of gravity on him (F = 189 N). We can use the formula F = ma to solve for the acceleration due to gravity (a).

F = ma
189 N = (92 kg)a
a = 189 N/92 kg
a = 2.05 m/s^2

Therefore, the acceleration of gravity on this unknown planet is 2.05 m/s^2.

To find the distance (r) from the center of the planet, we would need more information such as the radius or the gravitational constant of the planet. Without this information, we cannot calculate the distance.

I hope this helps clarify your confusion. Remember to always check your equations and units to make sure they are consistent and to use the correct formulas for each scenario. Keep up the good work!

1. What is the acceleration of gravity on an unknown planet?

The acceleration of gravity on an unknown planet depends on the mass and radius of the planet. It can be calculated using the formula a = GM/r^2, where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the planet, and r is the distance from the center of the planet.

2. Can we use the same formula to calculate the acceleration of gravity on any planet?

Yes, the formula a = GM/r^2 can be used to calculate the acceleration of gravity on any planet as long as we know the mass and radius of the planet. However, the value of G may vary slightly on different planets due to variations in their density and composition.

3. How is the acceleration of gravity related to the weight of an object on an unknown planet?

The weight of an object on an unknown planet is directly proportional to the acceleration of gravity on that planet. This means that if the acceleration of gravity on the unknown planet is greater, the weight of an object will also be greater.

4. Can we measure the acceleration of gravity on an unknown planet?

Yes, the acceleration of gravity on an unknown planet can be measured using instruments such as accelerometers or by analyzing the motion of objects on the planet's surface. NASA's Mars Exploration Rovers, for example, have measured the acceleration of gravity on Mars.

5. How does the acceleration of gravity on an unknown planet affect the motion of objects?

The acceleration of gravity on an unknown planet determines the rate at which objects fall towards the planet's surface. The greater the acceleration of gravity, the faster objects will fall. This also affects the trajectory of objects in motion, as the acceleration of gravity will constantly act upon them.