1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acceleration - Rocket 1d Kinematics

1. Oct 11, 2006 #1
    Acceleration -- Rocket 1d Kinematics

NASA has developed Deep-Space 1 (DS-1), a spacecraft that is scheduled to rendezvous with the asteroid named 1992 KD (which orbits the sun millions of miles from the earth). The propulsion system of DS-1 works by ejecting high-speed argon ions out the rear of the engine. The engine slowly increases the velocity of DS-1 by about 19.0 m/s per day.

(a) How much time (in days) will it take to increase the velocity of DS-1 by 13000 m/s?
    684.21 days

(b) What is the acceleration of DS-1 (in m/s2)?
    m/s2

I got the days, but I can't find the acceleration, what am I missing?

I have tried to do 19.0 * 86400 which is how many seconds in one day.. and that doesnt work.. I have tried other things but too many things to list.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2006 #2

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Look again at the definition of acceleration. Look at your product. Are they consistent? It's a good habit to keep your units as you work through a problem. It will help you to know when your operations are not correct.

4. Oct 11, 2006 #3
    Average Acceleration is [tex] \Delta x / \Delta t[/tex]

but is this average acceleration?

45 minutes to get these last three figured out ;).

5. Oct 11, 2006 #4
    Dan?

I got 15 min :-p

6. Oct 11, 2006 #5

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Average Acceleration is [tex] \Delta v / \Delta t[/tex]
    In your earlier post, you calculated [tex] \Delta v * \Delta t[/tex]

7. Oct 11, 2006 #6
    Thanks, assignment is past due but I'm still gonna try and figure out, I'll just miss this problem, still an A no big deal.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?