Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Acceleration - Rocket 1d Kinematics

1. Oct 11, 2006 #1
    Acceleration -- Rocket 1d Kinematics

NASA has developed Deep-Space 1 (DS-1), a spacecraft that is scheduled to rendezvous with the asteroid named 1992 KD (which orbits the sun millions of miles from the earth). The propulsion system of DS-1 works by ejecting high-speed argon ions out the rear of the engine. The engine slowly increases the velocity of DS-1 by about 19.0 m/s per day.

(a) How much time (in days) will it take to increase the velocity of DS-1 by 13000 m/s?
    684.21 days

(b) What is the acceleration of DS-1 (in m/s2)?
    m/s2

I got the days, but I can't find the acceleration, what am I missing?

I have tried to do 19.0 * 86400 which is how many seconds in one day.. and that doesnt work.. I have tried other things but too many things to list.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2006 #2

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Look again at the definition of acceleration. Look at your product. Are they consistent? It's a good habit to keep your units as you work through a problem. It will help you to know when your operations are not correct.

4. Oct 11, 2006 #3
    Average Acceleration is [tex] \Delta x / \Delta t[/tex]

but is this average acceleration?

45 minutes to get these last three figured out ;).

5. Oct 11, 2006 #4
    Dan?

I got 15 min :-p

6. Oct 11, 2006 #5

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Average Acceleration is [tex] \Delta v / \Delta t[/tex]
    In your earlier post, you calculated [tex] \Delta v * \Delta t[/tex]

7. Oct 11, 2006 #6
    Thanks, assignment is past due but I'm still gonna try and figure out, I'll just miss this problem, still an A no big deal.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook