1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acceleration When Pulled By Elastic Cord

1. Sep 20, 2009 #1
    1. How does a cart being pulled by an elastic cord effect the acceleration of that cart?

2. That's the problem. I can't find any equations that deal with motion of an object pulled by an elastic cord. I was thinking there may be something to do with elastic potential energy [tex]\mbox{PE_e_l_a_s_t_i_c}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{1}{2} kx^2[/tex] but I don't know of any equations that relate potential energy to acceleration.

3. This is more of a conceptual question, so I'm not sure how I'd write my attempt at a solution, other than saying I think there may be some relation between elastic potential energy and the motion of an object being pulled by an elastic cord.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF!

Hi mill4864! Welcome to PF! :wink:

Let the cart be at position x, and the other end of the cord be at position y …

then use work done and conservation of energy :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook