1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Acceptance/rejection dates for Perimeter Scholars Institute (Canada)?

1. Feb 6, 2012 #1
    I was wondering if anybody knew about when I should hear back from PSI? I realize the chance someone will be able to give me an answer is small, as it is not stated on their site and the course is only about 3 years old so few people have experience with it, but I was thinking that it's not unlikely people of this forum have applied in the previous years.

Anyway, this question is of course not important; knowing the answer will do nothing but satisfy my curiosity.

PS: it might be relevant to note that I applied somewhere around 1 dec.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2012 #2
    Hi, I got an acceptance email 03/07 and was given 2 weeks to accept. If you haven't heard by now, maybe you'll hear in 2 weeks if anyone decides not to take up the offer? Good luck!

4. Mar 8, 2012 #3
    Thanks for letting me know what's going on! (Haven't heard back yet myself)

Maybe see you next year ;)

5. Mar 8, 2012 #4
    Out of interest, are you applying to other Masters courses too? Or PhDs?

6. Mar 8, 2012 #5
    Yup, also applied to Tripos III in Cambridge, to which I got accepted already. Also considering LMU and maybe even Utrecht and a wee little Imperial.

You?

7. Mar 8, 2012 #6
    Part III, cool! Rigorous stuff. I have friends who have gotten a lot out of it. Cambridge is a lovely place too. PSI is the only programme I applied to (risky, I know!) as I'm putting off my PhD until next year and I was worried about the lack of funding for other masters courses.

8. Mar 8, 2012 #7
    Well it seems you scored it, congratulations :)

I'd be glad to join you, but it seems my odds are slim since the first batch of acceptance mails has gone out... I wish I'd just know already (either way), I can't stand the waiting anymore.

Good to hear those positive words about Part III ;)

9. Mar 9, 2012 #8
    See you next year jell0fish, I got the acceptance mail :D I'm so happy :) I'm happy I didn't lie to myself and always put PSI on number one; it worked out in the end!

10. Mar 10, 2012 #9
    Congratulations on your offers.

Out of curiosity, where are you guys doing your undergraduate degrees?

11. Mar 10, 2012 #10
    Thank you.

I'm currently attending KU Leuven in Belgium.

Why are you asking? :) Connected to our PSI offers?

12. Mar 10, 2012 #11
    Cool, thanks! If I'm not mistaken, Micromass is there too!

Well, I like Physics. I also applied to study in Germany (Leipzig) and wanted to know if things worked out for people who applied outside of Europe. I know for a fact that Dutch, German and Belgian undergraduate degrees (at least, in maths and physics) are more advanced than their American counterparts but of the 2-3 I've seen on physicsgre.com and mathematicsgre.com, most were not very accessible with applications in the States. And I wanted to know why! I was talking about it with a friend and we agreed upon one thing: the grading system. A 1.8 in Germany is a big thing. It's closer to a 3.8 than to a 3.2 GPA, I'd think...I suppose things like that raise a few alarms...

I don't know any Dutch, so if I were to go to Belgium (or at the very least, apply there - grades are average but hoping that I make it in somewhere), I wouldn't apply to the Flemish side (obviously). You know anything about Physics departments on the French side? There's only a handful of them...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook