Accepted (precise) value for lunar L2 point?

In summary, the conversation discusses the stability of the lunar L2 point and the process of testing it using a program and a massless test object. The speaker also mentions an optimized value and asks for an accepted value to compare it to. Another person provides a calculator for finding L points but notes that L2 may not be stable due to the Moon's orbit and the Sun's influence. The original speaker expresses gratitude for the information.
Muon Cat
Does anyone know where I can find one? I've written a program to test the stability of the lunar L2 point by placing a massless test object in orbit there and I've found an optimised value based on the approximation

[tex]r_{m}(\frac{M_{M}}{3M_{E}})^{1/3}[/tex]

where [tex]r_{m}[/tex] is the radius of the moon's orbit, [tex]M_{M}[/tex] is the mass of the moon and [tex]M_{E}[/tex] is the mass of the Earth. I need an accepted value to compare my precise, optimised L2 value to, but I haven't been able to find one anywhere. Can anyone help me out please?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
And it moves around. The Moon's orbit is not circular, and the Sun is a huge perturbing factor.

Ah okay, thank you very much guys! :) I was hoping for a literature value I could compare to because I have to write a report on this, but that is helpful all the same.

I appreciate your efforts in testing the stability of the lunar L2 point and using an optimized value based on the approximation you have provided. However, it is important to note that the accepted value for the lunar L2 point may vary depending on the source and method used for calculation.

One possible approach to finding an accepted value for the lunar L2 point is to consult established scientific literature or data from reputable space agencies such as NASA or the European Space Agency. These organizations often have precise measurements and calculations for various celestial bodies and their respective points of interest.

Another option could be to reach out to experts in the field of astrodynamics or celestial mechanics who may have access to more accurate data and can provide insights on the accepted value for the lunar L2 point.

In any case, it is important to clearly state the source and method used for calculating your optimized value and to acknowledge any potential limitations or uncertainties in your approach. This will ensure that your findings are accurately represented and can be compared to other accepted values in the scientific community.

1. What is the precise value for the lunar L2 point?

The precise value for the lunar L2 point, also known as the Earth-Moon L2 Lagrange point, is approximately 61,500 kilometers from the center of the Moon and 453,000 kilometers from the center of Earth.

2. How was the precise value for the lunar L2 point determined?

The precise value for the lunar L2 point was determined through mathematical calculations and simulations based on the gravitational forces between the Earth, Moon, and the Sun. It was first calculated by French mathematician Joseph-Louis Lagrange in the 18th century.

3. Why is the lunar L2 point important?

The lunar L2 point is important because it is a stable point in space where the gravitational forces of the Earth and Moon cancel out, making it an ideal location for spacecraft to orbit or for the placement of space observatories. It also serves as a potential site for future human missions to the Moon.

4. Has the precise value for the lunar L2 point changed over time?

The precise value for the lunar L2 point has remained relatively constant over time. However, slight variations may occur due to the changing positions of the Earth, Moon, and Sun in their orbits.

5. Are there any missions currently utilizing the lunar L2 point?

Yes, there are currently missions utilizing the lunar L2 point, such as the Chinese Chang'e 4 mission, which landed a rover on the far side of the Moon in January 2019. The upcoming James Webb Space Telescope is also planned to be stationed at the lunar L2 point for its observations of the universe.