Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Accurate measurement of pH - best methods

1. Sep 21, 2016 #1
    I am "proofing" various pH probes in an in-situ fresh water environment--this is a low electrolyte environment where such probes typically do not perform very well. I want to routinely sample the water and obtain accurate pH data for comparison. Can someone enlighten me on the what modern (non electrochemical) methods might be used for pH determination to around 0.01 accuracy? I have used bromocresol colorometric titration but my methods are probably quite dated. I expect there are now some standard accepted tests for comparison of pH results.

Thanks!
    Fritz

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 21, 2016 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Your methods are also what you are used to employing.
    That's some pretty "tall walking" there; 0.01 is how much in terms of free energy?

4. Sep 21, 2016 #3

BillTre

Science Advisor

I would talk with some pH probe manufacturers. They know a lot and have obscure products for unusual uses.
    There are some new technologies out there, like probes that can optically determine pH, that may work for your application.

These are some issues to decide:
    Do you want to leave the probe in the water continuously?
    How often will you calibrate it?
    Will it get fouled with debris from the water? --> cleaning methods
    How rugged do you want it?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted