Acoustic power of loudspeakers and interference

In summary, the problem is that two loudspeakers, A and B, are emitting sound at a frequency of 172 Hz with power outputs of 8x10^-4 W and 6x10^-5 W respectively. The difference in phase at a point C, located 3m from B and 4m from A, is pi (3.14). To determine the intensity and sound intensity level at C, the equation I = { P \over 4 \pi r^2} is used, where I is the intensity, P is the power, and r is the distance between the point and the source. When both speakers are on, the intensities must be added before calculating the sound intensity level,
adrian116
the problems is that:
two loudspeakers, A and B, radiate sound uniformly in all directions in air at 20 degree C. The acoustic power output from A is 8x10^-4 W, and from B it is 6x10^-5 W. Both loudspeakers are vibrating in phase at a frequency of 172 Hz.

a) Determine the difference in phase of the two signals at a point C along the line joining A and B, 3m from B and 4m from A.

b) Determine the intensity and sound intensity level at C from speaker A if speaker B is turned off and the intensity and sound intensity level at point C from speaker B if speaker A is turned off.

c) With both speakers on, what are the intensity and sound intensity level at C?

In part a, i have tried to work out the y(x,t)=Acos(kx-wt) of both loudspeakers, then add them together, I have got the result 2A,
but their phase difference is pi (3.14).

In part b, i have no idea how to link the power and intensity together.

thanks for attention.

Physics news on Phys.org
adrian116 said:
the problems is that:
two loudspeakers, A and B, radiate sound uniformly in all directions in air at 20 degree C. The acoustic power output from A is 8x10^-4 W, and from B it is 6x10^-5 W. Both loudspeakers are vibrating in phase at a frequency of 172 Hz.

a) Determine the difference in phase of the two signals at a point C along the line joining A and B, 3m from B and 4m from A.

There are several way to express this, but one possible way is the following: the phas difefrence at a given point (for two sources in phase) is simply the difference of distance to the two sources divided by the wavelength, all this multiplied by two pi, [itex] {2 \pi (r_2 -r_1) \over \lambda} [/itex] (where r_2 is the distance between the point and the farthest of the two sources). This makes sense, right? For example, if the point is equidistant to the two sources, the two waves are in phase at that point. If the point is at a distance [itex]\lambda[/itex] farher from one source than the other, there will be a difference of phase of 2 pi radians, etc.
b) Determine the intensity and sound intensity level at C from speaker A if speaker B is turned off and the intensity and sound intensity level at point C from speaker B if speaker A is turned off.

c) With both speakers on, what are the intensity and sound intensity level at C?

In part a, i have tried to work out the y(x,t)=Acos(kx-wt) of both loudspeakers, then add them together, I have got the result 2A,
but their phase difference is pi (3.14).

In part b, i have no idea how to link the power and intensity together.

thanks for attention.
The intensity (in Watt per meter squared) is [itex] I = { P \over 4 \pi r^2} [/itex] where r is the distance between the point and the source and P is the power (in watts) of the source). As for the sound intensity level, it is [itex] \beta = 10 log {I \over 10^{-12} W/m^2}[/itex]. Notice that is is a log, not an ln. And it comes out in decibels.

when the two sources ar on (assuming that they are incoherent), you must add the *intensities* of the two at the given point *before* calculating the sound level.

Hope this helps.

PAtrick

thx for your helping,
i will try my best to understand it

i got a problem that how do you derive the equation of
intensity of sound [itex] I = { P \over 4 \pi r^2} [/itex] ?

and the answer in part c is wrong if i add the intensities at a particular point together....

1. What is the definition of acoustic power?

Acoustic power refers to the amount of sound energy that a loudspeaker can produce in a given amount of time.

2. How is acoustic power measured?

Acoustic power is measured in watts (W) and is typically determined by using a sound level meter to measure the sound pressure level (SPL) at a specific distance from the loudspeaker.

3. What factors affect the acoustic power of a loudspeaker?

The acoustic power of a loudspeaker can be affected by several factors including the size and design of the speaker, the quality of the components used, and the amplification system driving the speaker.

4. What is interference in the context of loudspeakers?

In the context of loudspeakers, interference refers to the phenomenon where two or more sound waves overlap and create a distorted or muffled sound. This can be caused by multiple speakers playing the same sound at different times or frequencies.

5. How can interference be minimized in loudspeaker systems?

Interference can be minimized by carefully positioning and aligning the loudspeakers, using equalization to adjust for any frequency imbalances, and ensuring that the speakers are of high quality and properly maintained.