Actuarial Math

• Thread starter yik-boh
  • Start date
What other subjects/courses do I need to be a good Actuary? I know that Math is not the only thing I will need in order to be successful in this career. I just want to know what other course/subjects do I need to look on to if I want to be a good Actuary. Thanks! :)

Answers and Replies

As you may be already aware, actuary deals with study of uncertainty, anything that is related to uncertainty involves probability & statistics. So you need to have a decent background in Math, Statistics, Probability, Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, Game Theory and metrics. The specific topic varies widely.

Statistics and probability will go a long way with the exams. However, having a good mathematical background is necessary but not sufficient to be a good actuary. You need to be a professional and a good businessperson. Those are skills you can work on in school, but don’t have a dedicated class.

chiro
Science Advisor
Get involved in a communication club like Toastmasters and practice public speaking and presentations.

Like Locrian said you are a professional business person, not your standard mathematician.

Look into some computer science classes too, besides Maths, Statistics, Economics and certain Finance classes. Skilled at using simple softwares could be useful for you, giving you advantage to master the actuarial softwares faster.

Step back and take a pensive moment to ponder where your ambition went.

I've set Actuarial Science as my firm career choice other than Maths.