1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What else should I do with physics during my UG?

1. Feb 10, 2013 #1
    I really love physics and at the moment can't imagine not getting a PhD in it. Its my first year of UG but I came in with 38 AP credits. With this I could comfortably graduate in three years total (im only taking 13 credits this semester). However the benefits of that extra year of research and graduate courses would really make me a top candidate for graduate schools. I am already doing particle research with a fantastic professor who is really excited to continue working together/mentoring me. I guess my problem is that I WANT to be a professor but am obviously worried about how the odds are stacked against me. Thus, I feel like I should minor/major in something else in this fourth year (though id have to start taking courses much sooner). Im one course away from minoring in math so that is a give in, but my other options are major in CS or math or minor in CS. I just dont think I want to spend time away from physics to work in these other areas (though I am good at CS). But then Im worried ill be kicking myself when my "dream" job goes unrealized and I dont have too much else to offer to industry or other positions. Any advice would be REALLY appreciated. Thank you guys, i know its a long post.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2013 #2
    Why do you feel you need to minor in something? Just take grad physics courses if that's what you want to do.

4. Feb 10, 2013 #3
    Because I would "like" to have other marketable skills. Though a minor in cs may mean very little when applying for a job. Hence trying to get more info on the matter! :)

5. Feb 10, 2013 #4
    A minor would look good but you could also get involved in, say, a computational physics group and then you could say "I know how program in x,y,z and this and this." You can get more valuable job skills in a lab I would imagine.

6. Feb 10, 2013 #5
    Hey thanks! Still open to other ideas, but I like that one!

7. Feb 11, 2013 #6
    Take a language.

8. Feb 11, 2013 #7
    Thought about doing that, but im not sure im passionate enough about it.

9. Feb 14, 2013 #8
    I'm in the same boat as you, mc0210. With my transfer credits from high school, I could get my degree in three years. Tuition is covered by my scholarship, though, so I didn't really want to waste that last year. I've decided to double major in computer science and it's been a good decision so far! Well, I suppose I can't really determine that yet; I've only been here for one semester hahah I've definitely enjoyed it. Since I don't exactly know what schools look for in potential graduate students, I would suggest you just study math or cs further if you truly enjoy those subjects. As far as I know, the extra knowledge can only help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook