1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Addition of orbital angular momentum and spin

1. Dec 30, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider an electron with spin [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex] and orbital angular momentum l=1. Write down all possible total angular momentum states as a combination of the product states [itex] | l=1 , m_l > | s = \frac{1}{2} , m_s > [/itex]

2. Relevant equations

Lowering operator : [itex] J_- |j, m> = \sqrt{(j + m)(j - m + 1)} |j, m-1> [/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Since total angular momentum [itex] | l-s | <= j <= (l+s) [/itex]
    and its z-component [itex] -j <= m_j <= +j [/itex]
    I know that the possible [itex] |j, m_j > [/itex] states are:

[itex] | \frac{1}{2} , \frac{-1}{2} > [/itex]
    [itex] | \frac{1}{2} , \frac{1}{2} > [/itex]
    [itex] | \frac{3}{2} , \frac{-3}{2} > [/itex]
    [itex] | \frac{3}{2} , \frac{-1}{2} > [/itex]
    [itex] | \frac{3}{2} , \frac{1}{2} > [/itex]
    [itex] | \frac{3}{2} , \frac{3}{2} > [/itex]

As for finding the product states, I know that:
    [itex] | \frac{3}{2} , \frac{3}{2} > = |1, 1> | \frac{1}{2} , \frac{1}{2} > [/itex]
    as this is the maximal spin state. I can then find [itex] | \frac{3}{2} , \frac{1}{2} > [/itex], [itex] | \frac{3}{2} , \frac{-1}{2} > [/itex] and [itex] | \frac{3}{2} , \frac{-3}{2} > [/itex] using the lowering operator above. I don't know how I can use this information to find [itex] | \frac{1}{2} , \frac{1}{2} > [/itex] and [itex] | \frac{1}{2} , \frac{-1}{2} > [/itex] however.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2013 #2
    Well the j=1/2 states are the ones that had [itex] m_l [/itex] = 0. As for the actual problem it seems to me like they want you to write out all of the states you listed in terms of the clebsch-gordon coefficients times the uncoupled basis states.

4. Dec 30, 2013 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You want to find ##\lvert \frac{1}{2}, \frac{1}{2} \rangle## so that it's orthogonal to ##\lvert \frac{3}{2}, \frac{1}{2} \rangle##.

5. Dec 30, 2013 #4
    In the problem statement they do not ask you to calculate the total momentum ##| J, m_j > ##. I think that you just have to write down a linear equation in the states ##|1,m_l> | 1/2, m_s > ## where ##m_l## has three possible values and ##m_s## two.

6. Dec 30, 2013 #5

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

That's what gu1t4r5 has described doing, and he or she explained how to find four of the six linear combinations. The question gu1t4r5 asked was about how to find the last two.

7. Dec 30, 2013 #6
    Oh, yes, I misunderstood the problem.
    And it is a good idea to find the remaining two with the requirement that they are orthogonal to the other.
    You could also use pre-calculated clebsch-gordon coefficients as scoobmx says.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted