Adiabatic expansion with temperature-dependent gamma

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of solving a problem using the formula for reversible adiabatic processes. The method involves calculating the initial volume using the ideal gas law and finding the value of γ as the quotient between cp and cv. The speaker suggests using the value of γ at the initial temperature and the final temperature to solve the problem, but is unsure if this approach is correct. Another participant suggests taking a calculus view of the formula due to the variable nature of γ.
usrename
Homework Statement
Two moles of a gas, whose initial temperature and pressure are 200ºC and 20 atm, undergo an adiabatic expansion until the temperature reaches 100ºC. Calculate the pressure and the volume at the end of the process if the constant pressure molar heat capacity follows this formula:
Relevant Equations
c_p= a + bT + cT²
The statement does not say whether the process is reversible or not, but I suppose the only way to solve the problem is by thinking it actually is.
I tried using the formula for reversible adiabatic processes, i.e. PVγ = constant. First, I calculated the initial volume with the ideal gas law. Then, I tried to find /gamma as the quotient between cp and cv. If I take cv to be cp - R, then the value of γ depends on temperature.
I think the way to do is by calculating P0V0γ0 using the value of γ at the initial temperature and then using γF, i.e. the value of γ at the final temperature, on the other side of the equation PFVFγF. However, I am not sure if I can use the formula this way.
Is this approach correct?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Since ##\gamma## is variable, I think you need to take a calculus view of ##PV^\gamma=c##. I.e. consider a small change in volume, and what that does to the temperature.

1. What is adiabatic expansion with temperature-dependent gamma?

Adiabatic expansion with temperature-dependent gamma refers to the process in which a gas expands without any heat exchange with its surroundings, while also taking into account the change in the gas's specific heat capacity with temperature.

2. How does adiabatic expansion with temperature-dependent gamma differ from regular adiabatic expansion?

In regular adiabatic expansion, the specific heat capacity of the gas is assumed to remain constant. However, in adiabatic expansion with temperature-dependent gamma, the specific heat capacity changes with temperature, resulting in a more accurate calculation of the gas's properties.

3. What is the significance of temperature-dependent gamma in adiabatic expansion?

Temperature-dependent gamma takes into account the fact that the specific heat capacity of a gas changes with temperature. This is important because it affects the gas's internal energy and can result in a more accurate calculation of the gas's properties during adiabatic expansion.

4. How is the temperature-dependent gamma calculated in adiabatic expansion?

The temperature-dependent gamma can be calculated using the Mayer's relation, which relates the specific heat capacity at constant pressure and constant volume to the gas's specific heat ratio (gamma). This equation takes into account the change in specific heat capacity with temperature and is used to determine the temperature-dependent gamma value.

5. What are some real-world applications of adiabatic expansion with temperature-dependent gamma?

Adiabatic expansion with temperature-dependent gamma is commonly used in the study of thermodynamics and fluid mechanics. It has practical applications in the design of engines, turbines, and other machinery that involve gas expansion. It is also used in weather forecasting models to predict changes in atmospheric temperature and pressure.