Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Adjoint of functional derivative in superspace

1. Feb 27, 2008 #1
    In the space of Riemannian metrics Riem(M), over a compact 3-manifold without boundary M, we have a pointwise (which means here "for each metric g") inner product, defined, for metric velocities [tex]k^1_{ab},k^2_{cd}[/tex] (which are just symmetric two-covariant tensors over M):
    [tex]\int_MG^{abcd}k^1_{ab}k^2_{cd}d^3x[/tex]
    where
    [tex]G^{abcd}=\frac{1}{2}\sqrt{g}(g^{ac}g{bd}-g^{ab}g^{cd})[/tex]
    is the Wheeler-Dewitt supermetric.
    Now, let [tex]f:Riem(M)\ra\R[/tex] be a functional of the metric which is of the form
    [tex]f[g_{ab}]=\int_Mf(g_{ab}(x))d^3x[/tex]
    i.e. it is represented by a local function [tex]f_x:T_xM\otimes_ST_xM\ra\R[/tex]
    (where the subscript S indicates symmetrized). It is known that the functional derivative [tex]\delta{f}[/tex] can be seen as a differential form in Riem(M). It can be defined at [tex]g_{ab}[/tex] as:
    [tex]\delta{f}_{g_{ab}}[k_{ab}]=\int_M\frac{d}{dt}_{t=0}f(g_{ab}(x)+tk_{ab}(x))d^3x[/tex]
    Let us suppose a one-form in Riem(M) can be defined pointwise in M by
    [tex]\lambda^{ab}_x:T_xM^*\otimes_ST_xM^*\ra\R[/tex]
    and that we have the inner product as above:
    [tex]\int_MG_{abcd}\lambda_1^{ab}\lambda_2^{cd}d^3x[/tex]
    where
    [tex]G_{abcd}=\frac{1}{det{g}}(g_{ac}g_{bd}-\frac{1}{2}g_{ab}g_{cd})[/tex]
    Now, my question is, in this instance, where the functional derivative basically acts as a exterior derivative, can we define it's adjoint with respect to the above supermetric? I.e., can we find a functional differential operator [tex]\delta^*[/tex] such that
    [tex]\int_MG_{abcd}\lambda^{ab}(x)\delta{f}^{cd}(x)d^3x=\int_M\delta^*\lambda_g^{ab}(g(x))f(g(x))d^3x[/tex]
    Thanks,

Last edited: Feb 27, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2008 #2

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

use "[/tex]" to end your tex, not "[tex]"...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?