Adjoint representation of SU(3)

In summary, the conversation discusses a query about proving a specific equation involving SU(3) and the structure constants for the group. The individual asking the question mentions they have generated three matrices, but when they compute their commutator, they get an incorrect result. Another person suggests looking at the Gell-Mann matrices and using the adjoint representation of SU(3), which has 8 matrices. The conversation continues with the individual making progress and discussing the possibility of interchanging indices affecting the sign of the constants.
nigelscott
Not sure if this is the correct forum but here goes.

I am trying to prove [Ta,Tb] = ifabcTc

Where (Ta)bc = -ifabc and fabcare the structure constants for SU(3).

I picked f123 and generated the three 8 x 8 matrices .. T1, T2 and T3.
The matrices components are all 0 except for,

(T1)23 = -i
(T(1)47 = -i/2
(T1)56 = i/2

(T2)46 = -i/2
(T2)57 = -i/2

(T3)45 = -i/2
(T3)67= i/2

When I compute [T1,T2] I get 0. What am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
All your generators ##T^i## seem to be nilpotent which can't be. They have to be regular, i.e. invertible.

Yes, so how does one build the correct generators? This worked fine for SU(2) so something else is missing. I suspect the Jacobi identities play a role but I'm not sure how to proceed. Thanks

Have a look on the Gell-Mann matrices: (try ##\lim_{t→0} \exp(t \lambda_i)##, or simply ##1+\lambda_i##)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gell-Mann_matrices

Remember that the adjoint representation ##Ad## is a group homomorphism ##SU(3) \longrightarrow GL(\mathfrak{su}(3))## with ##Ad(\exp(\lambda_i)) = \exp(ad (\lambda_i)).##

Last edited:
Thanks. I am familiar with the G-M matrices. I am after the 8 x 8 adjoint versions of the generators. I think I am making progress. When I add indeces:

(T1)32,
(T1)74,
(T1)65,

(T2)64,
(T2)75,

(T3)54,
(T3)76,

into the mix I almost get the right answer. I am wondering if interchanging the second and third indeces changes the sign of the constant.

Forgive me if I am making this hard work but I no expert in GT.

Adjoint representation of SU(3) has 8 matrices, not 3.

1. What is the adjoint representation of SU(3)?

The adjoint representation of SU(3) is a mathematical tool used to study the symmetries and transformations of a special unitary group of degree 3, also known as SU(3). It involves a matrix representation of the group's generators and is often used to analyze the behavior of particles in quantum field theory.

2. How is the adjoint representation of SU(3) related to the fundamental representation?

The fundamental representation of SU(3) is a three-dimensional vector space that represents the basic building blocks of the group. The adjoint representation, on the other hand, is a square matrix representation that describes the interactions between these building blocks. It is related to the fundamental representation through the use of the group's generators.

3. What is the significance of the adjoint representation in physics?

The adjoint representation is important in physics because it provides a way to study the symmetries and transformations of a group, which are essential in understanding the behavior and properties of particles. It is also used in the study of quantum chromodynamics, which describes the strong interactions between particles.

4. How is the adjoint representation of SU(3) different from other representations?

The adjoint representation of SU(3) is unique in that it is the only representation that is both irreducible and self-conjugate. This means that it cannot be broken down into smaller representations and its transpose is equal to its conjugate. Other representations of SU(3) are either reducible or not self-conjugate.

5. How is the adjoint representation used in practical applications?

The adjoint representation of SU(3) has many practical applications, particularly in particle physics. It is used to study the behavior of quarks and gluons, which are the fundamental particles that make up protons and neutrons. It is also used in the development of models for strong interactions and in the study of hadronic matter at high temperatures and densities.